Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two states - Maryland and West Virginia

reswedberg
Level 1

I have a client who lives in Maryland, earns his salary in Maryland but sold some land in West Virginia in 2020.  I added WV to the client profile but indicated that Maryland the state of residence.  I "tagged" all the income and deductions to the drop down state of Maryland except for the Schedule D sale of land in WV. The program is telling me that the entire AGI is attributed to WV.  It seems to be very confused about which income is taxable in Maryland and which is taxable in WV.  I called tech support, was on hold for over an hour, and the person was not able to help me with this problem.

Thanks, 

Robert

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

Under Genera > Client Information, did you do the following?

• Select MD for Resident State as of 12/31;
  • Check the box for Full Year Resident?
  • Check the box for Multi-State Return?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
reswedberg
Level 1

Yes, I have those settings but still have the problem.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

I think you're confused.  What you see is not WV taxing the entire AGI.  Instead, it's WV computing NR income tax on an as-if basis and prorating the tax for NR-WV income.  See these on the WV return and follow the money:

• Sch A (Form IT-140)
  • IT-140, Line 8
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers