Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My client receives his commissions as w-2 wages. I need to know if there is a way to change the wages in box 1 to commissions on schedule c or elsewhere?

srwkg
Level 1

The employer will not check the statutory employee box so he cannot deduct his employee business expenses. Any suggestions as to where he can put the wages which are really commissions?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the client is an employee, the commissions belong on a W-2, not on a Schedule C.

If the client has a lot of expenses, he should negotiate with his employer to pay the expenses under an "Accountable Plan", even if it means slightly reducing the amount of wages or commissions he receives.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the client is an employee, the commissions belong on a W-2, not on a Schedule C.

If the client has a lot of expenses, he should negotiate with his employer to pay the expenses under an "Accountable Plan", even if it means slightly reducing the amount of wages or commissions he receives.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
The smiley guy is right.  But since the statutory employee category is pretty limited, I'm curious what your client does for a living.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

This conversation should have occurred a year ago, as 2018 was starting out.

One doesn't get to just *pick* statutory employee to save on taxes.

(edit - and why do I think this isn't going to be the first time the issue comes up?  I bet TurdoTax will be going nuts over it.)

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers