Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you check the box for, "Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent"?

wgc3rd
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

There's no box for that.  Is the joint return being filed only to make a refund claim?  If so, would either spouse owe tax if they were to file MFS?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
itonewbie
Level 15

There's no box for that.  Is the joint return being filed only to make a refund claim?  If so, would either spouse owe tax if they were to file MFS?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
wgc3rd
Level 1
it's not joint, it's a MFS return. the spouse information is required, so I entered it. the return was rejected because the spouse's was claimed by their son. i believe indicating the spouse can be claimed on someone else's return will correct the error i am getting, but i don't know how to do that.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
What message did you receive with that rejection?
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
wgc3rd
Level 1
"If Form 1040, 'SpouseClaimAsDependentInd" is not checked, then the Spouse SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return."

The spouse was correctly claimed on another reuturn, but i had to enter his SSN. If i can just check that stupid box!
0 Cheers