Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ProConnect software is incorrectly using the 22% rate instead of the 12% rate to calculate taxes on $47,000 of MFJ taxable income. How do I fix this?

Highlighted
Level 2

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
9 Replies 9
Highlighted
Level 15

Did you have the correct filing status checked and shown on the return?  If so, is your client claiming foreign earned income exclusion?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Level 2

Yes to filing. No to foreign claim except for one foreign stock in a separate portfolio with inconsequential tax implication.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

I just checked. $47k in taxable income for MFJ is giving me $5,255 in FIT, matching exactly what's on the tax table.  You probably want to check your entries again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2

Thanks, but here is the real deal. I entered a $3,600 capital gain distribution (reinvested). Should be taxed at the 0% rate, if at all, (in my view) since taxable income is < $47g. for MFJ. Yet the software is calculating at the 22% rate and adding, even though it shows the max rate correctly in the worksheet, 12%. I test this by zeroing out the respective numbers which reduces the tax due by that corresponding %.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

The $3,600 of CGD will not put your client in the 22% bracket regardless.

There is still something you haven't told us.  What exactly do you mean "zeroing out the respective numbers"?  What are those respective numbers?

If you could outline what those numbers are, we may be able to pinpoint what the problem is.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2

When I say zeroing out the numbers, I mean removing the capital gain amount that should not be taxed. The tax calculated drops by the corresponding 22% rate so that indicates the software is taxing the gain.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@rabarton01 wrote:

When I say zeroing out the numbers, I mean removing the capital gain amount that should not be taxed. The tax calculated drops by the corresponding 22% rate so that indicates the software is taxing the gain.

For good measure, I recreated what you described but PTO has no problem accounting for the CGD of $3,600.  The resultant tax is still $5,255 as expected.  See screenshot attached. Perhaps you can post a screenshot of the worksheet from your return?  Please make sure you either do not show your client's PII though.

PTO Tax Computation.png

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 12

@rabarton01 wrote:

the software is calculating at the 22% rate

Are you looking at the actual income tax on Line 12 of Form 1040?  Or are you looking at how the refund changes?  If you are just looking at the refund, the 'extra' income could change other things.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2

I am looking on the tax due, Line 12a, and Line 23. Nothing else changes. I even have a Roth IRA that is being charged tax. This is spooky.

0 Cheers