Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting inventory methods on Initial tax return

aarora
Level 3

How can I elect to use FIFO method of inventory cost flow on my initial 1120 or 1120S?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

I believe FIFO is the default, not an election.

Ex-AllStar
aarora
Level 3

Thanks! Will you know how do I select another methods i.e. 'Specific Identification Method' that is listed in Pub 538? I believe IRS allows weighted average method as well

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

No. I haven't had a new business with inventory in years.

Ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

ProConnect has a neat FIND THE INPUT feature. For your question: Check Return > Look at the 1125-A > Line 9 a (iii) has a check box > Click that box.

This feature works for any line or box that is highlighted in blue.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
aarora
Level 3

To determine the value of beginning and ending inventory we need two things - a method for identifying the items in your inventory and a method for valuing these items. I believe the original intent of section 9a was to specify the method for valuing the inventory i.e. LCM, Cost , Retail etc.. Are you sure the others option in 9a can be used to specify cost flow methods like specific identification, weighted average?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"how do I select another methods"

Have you read the instructions here?

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-970

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers