Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RSU and SSAR reported as income on W-2

gabjo00
Level 3

compensation income in box 14 on W2 for RSU/ SSAR. Employer stock transaction worksheet and capital gain loss transaction worksheets completed.There is no cap gain/loss. Nothing flows on schedule D? Uncertain if something is incorrect because the 1095-b isn't being reported anywhere? Think I have another step I am missing.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Just want to make sure I understand the background of your question, so that you can get the answer you need.

Your question says the compensation is for RSU and SAR and amounts are reported in Box 14, which often contains informational items.  Since it's not uncommon for RSU to be delivered in cash and SAR are phantom plans, it leads me to believe there's no stock transaction at all.

Are you sure there is a 1099-B for these?  If shares from employer stock option plans are sold, I'd always request copies of the grant and exercise documents because most individuals have little idea what proper reporting of these transactions entails 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15
@Just Lisa Now! or @IRonMaN can you help a PS user?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Just want to make sure I understand the background of your question, so that you can get the answer you need.

Your question says the compensation is for RSU and SAR and amounts are reported in Box 14, which often contains informational items.  Since it's not uncommon for RSU to be delivered in cash and SAR are phantom plans, it leads me to believe there's no stock transaction at all.

Are you sure there is a 1099-B for these?  If shares from employer stock option plans are sold, I'd always request copies of the grant and exercise documents because most individuals have little idea what proper reporting of these transactions entails 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
gabjo00
Level 3
I have seen W2s from this company before and it is included in box 14 every time.  I do have a 1099-b with only proceeds and no cost basis.  TP provided me with statements that had the information I needed to calculate cost basis/capital gains etc.  
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
No question about income inclusion on the W-2, just how the units were delivered.

So long as you're clear on the basis from the grant/award documents, I'd enter the details just like any other stock transactions.
https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1606117-1099-b-proceeds-from-broker-and-barter-exc...
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I think you should post this again, using ProConnect ProSeries as your topic and product. ProConnect Tax Online does not have a worksheet

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
aarora
Level 3

Hello,

I have a question about entering dividends for Restricted stock in proconnect online and i hope you can help. I have exhausted all other avenues. I got dividends from RS that are not yet vested. Since such dividends are considered as compensation the amount is included on the W-2 box1 compensation. Box14 also shows that amount. The broker also issued 1099-DIV. For such scenarios Pub 525 explains that you should list the dividends on Schedule B (Form 1040), with a statement that you have included them as wages. Do not include them in the total dividends received.

In proconnect online how can enter dividend amount on schedule B and prevent it from flowing over to 1040 3a/b?

0 Cheers