Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roth Disbursement to 59.5 year old NOT taxable

legal
Level 3

When I entered the Code J on a ROTH/IRA distribution, it came up as taxable on this program.  The guy at Edward Jones was adamant that it was NOT taxable because the client has been putting in the required $6500 per year since 2009 and he was "just taking it out."  I can't find anything regarding Code J and it not being used for a First Time Home Buyer situation.  He actually used the funds for a new truck and was delighted with the purchase.  Now he is not delighted with the Tax hit!  Am I missing something here?  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

@legal 

Please, come back and let us know what you figured out they meant or had wrong. This is a peer community and this type of puzzle is something we all learn from.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
qbteachmt
Level 15

"The guy at Edward Jones was adamant that it was NOT taxable because the client has been putting in the required $6500 per year since 2009 and he was "just taking it out." "

Well, obviously, that person doesn't know anything about the rules. If he did, he would state it Properly, not so generically. It's hard to state if he means reference to the ordering rules, the 5 year rule, both? Sheesh.

"I can't find anything regarding Code J and it not being used for a First Time Home Buyer situation. He actually used the funds for a new truck and was delighted with the purchase. Now he is not delighted with the Tax hit! Am I missing something here?"

I like the articles meant for the Taxpayer, wince they are not tax-geek-speak. Try this one.

https://www.investopedia.com/understanding-non-qualified-roth-ira-distributions-4770842

Then write it up, send it to the ED Jones guy, and mention you welcome referrals.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Oh; what is "required" as applied to Roth amounts? Sheesh.

qbteachmt
Level 15

For ProConnect, here's your Help article:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/individual/help/entering-form-1099-r-in-an-individual-return...

Basis will matter.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You need to enter the basis in the ROTH IRA.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

@legal 

Please, come back and let us know what you figured out they meant or had wrong. This is a peer community and this type of puzzle is something we all learn from.

legal
Level 3

Thank you all so much.  I finally got Edward Jones to get me the basis for the past few years and it settled the whole matter.  NO tax involved.  It's choosing the correct forms and the Where Do I Enter helped with all of your immediate responses.  Now to tackle the next two biggies on my plate that keep me up at night!

Many thanks!