Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Withholding Error

Payroll withheld $4,000 for Oregon taxes, by mistake. I live and work in Washington and do not owe Oregon a dime.

I desperately need the money for my down payment. Can't wait an entire year to file tax return seeking refund.  It was totally payroll's error.  $4,000 is almost half the money I need for a down payment.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

And you didn't notice that your paychecks were $ 4000 short ????

My b.s. detector is going off .....

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

23 Comments 23
IRonMaN
Level 15

If it was totally payroll's error, talk to payroll.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Or, start a GoFundMe account.

thx  did that.0

0 Cheers

Thank you!

I am a CPA and tax professional.  When I posted the question, the program made me select a nickname.

Since I was asking the community for unique advice, other than wait till next year to file tax return or contact payroll, I chose the nickname "1st time homebuyer" because the client's actual name was being used by someone else.  Those are no-brainer suggestions.

I used Lacerte for 25 years and ProConnect software too!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

And you didn't notice that your paychecks were $ 4000 short ????

My b.s. detector is going off .....

( Generic Comment )"

What a bunch of ridiculous responses I'm getting.  All implying I'm not too swift.

It was a new job for her, working every day for a month as a nurse, lots of OT pay.  She only got 1 paycheck---she's paid monthly---and the $4,000 was withheld for a neighboring state, not hers.  WA doesn't have income tax.  

YES, she noticed immediately.  And as someone else commented, YES, she did contact Payroll and HR.  They said tough, file a tax return next year.  Don't bother us.

This community is so lame.

1st Suggestion:  Contact Payroll.  Duh!

2nd Suggestion:  (Figuring I'm a lay person because I chose "1st time homebuyer" for the required nickname to join) Told me I shouldn't be contacting a PROFESSIONAL community--- try TurboTax or Go Fund Me.  How elitist!  I am a CPA, tax accountant, mortgage broker and was hoping for constructive ideas.

3rd suggestion:  You didn't notice?  Of course she noticed.  Immediately.  Fought her Payroll and HR Departments, then called me to see if I had any ideas.  

I hoped someone would give me a clever, useful idea, but instead, you have all been so haughty. 

Speaking of professionalism.  Try some yourself people!  

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"This community is so lame"

The answers provided here are only as good as the information provided in the question being asked.  You started out with a lame question, but you keep adding facts.  Why didn't you just lay out all of the facts to start with?  But at this point even if I had the perfect solution, I don't know that I would provide it since my hands are feeling a little lame from typing.

Slava Ukraini!
ms229640
Level 1

customer having problems with withholding amount on @w2

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

This forum is for tax professionals willing to help other tax professionals.    Your question as posted was not indicating you were a CPA seeking advice for a client.     

George4Tacks
Level 15

How did OR get tied to her? Is she still an Oregon resident working WA. Lives in Portland and works in Vancouver? HR did not do this all on their own. Client definitely played a roll.

File the return the way it LEGALLY should be. If she truly had no tie to OR, File the OR return with no income and $4,000 withholding. Attach an explanation that the withholding was in error and don't spare any words. File the return showing the refund.

As far as user name - why are you selecting a user name for the client? This is your well experienced, quarter century, CPA user of Lacerte and ProConnect. Is this your first time to ask this lame group of volunteer users a question? Don't YOU have a user name? 

Use your normal handle and ask as full and complete a question as you can. We really try to give good advice, but when it looks like b.s. and smells like b.s. we think it is b.s.  Even you selected the answer with b.s. in it as the correct answer. 

Yes, for all the experience you espouse, you are not coming off as too swift.  We can only see what is presented here. If you have managed as a CPA for 25 years I would expect you are much better than what has been shown here. 

Please continue to use the site and get the answers we all need. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BobKamman
Level 15

I live and work in Washington and do not owe Oregon a dime.

I desperately need the money for my down payment.

And when you write "I", you mean "my client"?  Some of us were born at night, but not last night.

Can't wait an entire year to file tax return seeking refund. 

She only got 1 paycheck---she's paid monthly

This happened earlier this month?  She made enough in January 2022 to have $4,000 state tax withheld?  When she is paid only once a month?  This is all very strange.  

abctax55
Level 15

"...Some of us were born at night, but not last night."

@BobKamman  -   LOL, great line.

I'm ashamed 'my' response was the solve.  This whole thread smells.

( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Since I was asking the community for unique advice,"

You are in the wrong place on the internet. It isn't Unique; it's misplaced.

This topic is started in the ProConnect forum, which is for helping you use that program. Not for Payroll. ProConnect is income tax preparation software and not a payroll program.

I don't understand why a CPA would expect the Internet to be able to solve a client's payroll issue. Isn't that what the CPA should be able to research? And if the client didn't notice in time, then they have to go through the process of getting that back, if they in fact will have a refund coming. Holding out "too much" isn't the same as not owing it, later.

"I chose the nickname "1st time homebuyer" "

You should be using Your Username here and not pretending to be this client. That is Your Login, the same concept as you use for your Intuit Login. If you really have been using Lacerte and ProConnect all those years, you already had a log in account.

Everything about this topic smells. And then you accuse the peer community of being lame. Please, recognize you've come to the wrong place and no one on the internet can help your client except for you.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

My dear fellow CPA and Tax professional, preparer for A New Homebuyer, and user of Lacerte for 25 years and ProConnect software too:

Sorry I came to the party late.  Billable work has a slightly higher priority for me.

Great movie line that we all practice here -- [Joe Fox]: Do you ever feel you’ve become the worst version of yourself? That a Pandora’s box of all the secret, hateful parts – your arrogance, your spite, your condescension – has sprung open? Someone upsets you and instead of smiling and moving on, you zing them. “Hello, it’s Mr Nasty.” I’m sure you have no idea what I’m talking about.  (Copycat, I.)  Here we practice Joe Fox...

Confession: I don't do much professionalism here.  Half of the time I'm also nursing my bourbon when I type, thus my words are never lame, like @IRonMaN's.    

The other half of the time, I scratch my.... hmmm...  my hair....  and sniff, in between typing.   

Instead, I come here for two things: drama and kudos.  When @BobKamman cares to throw in a zinger or two, you know it's good drama.

I had a few clever ideas, but since you've already declared a solution, I guess I should give them a rest.

Privately to @IRonMaN: Did i go over five lines yet?  I tried to keep it below....

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Did i go over five lines yet?"

Close enough.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

@joshuabarksatlcs  "... but since you've already declared a solution"

But it was  *my* solution - which was no solution at all.  Makes this whole thread even MORE suspect 🤣

( Generic Comment )"
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

I desperately need the money for my down payment. Can't wait an entire year to file tax return seeking refund.  It was totally payroll's error.  $4,000 is almost half the money I need for a down payment.

desperate times call for desperate measures! #robabank #cookmeth

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
dkh
Level 15

@dd4vols            #youarefunny

IRonMaN
Level 15

"#robabank #cookmeth"

Our new friend should be happy because that is certainly a creative and useful answer.  Will he be able to change that post to the solution?

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

#tunnelintobankcookmeththereeverynight

qbteachmt
Level 15

"But it was *my* solution - which was no solution at all."

That's better than when their own reply complaint is what they mark as the solution. At the least, you seem helpful.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
abctax55
Level 15

At the least, you seem helpful

That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me today.🤣

( Generic Comment )"
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE:  At the least, you seem helpful

That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me today.

1.  I had tacitly and implied said it (when I reminded the Asker he had already declared a solution).  So, the thing @qbteachmt said could only be tied for the nicest.

2.  @joshuabarksatlcs  "... but since you've already declared a solution"

But it was  *my* solution - which was no solution at all.  Makes this whole thread even MORE suspect 

Your line reminded of a cool drinking cheer from a movie: Here's to the war, which is no war."

3.  I'm done for today, waiting for that E form to turn to F form and waiting to see if Lacerte is going to do it.  
So, raising my bourbon, I say, "Here's to  8915F, which is no 8915F!" 

4.  Perhaps the bourbon is working.  When I come in, sometimes the frame for the latest post is on top, sometimes the original question is on top.  What gives?

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.