Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfiled Tax Return Prep

txtaxguy
Level 2

I found this discussion here: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tax-return/help/can-prior-year-returns-be-e-filed-through-pr...

Based on this, it appears that PTO can be used for prior year return prep. What I need to know is can be it be used for unfiled returns going back to 2014? If so, is price per return same as current year pricing? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Yes...but to be clear, you have to purchase 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, & 2019.  You can't use 2019 software to do a 2014 return.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
George4Tacks
Level 15
Price per return is whatever the current year rate is. You can only e-file the current year and two prior years, so those old years will be paper (pdf) files.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
txtaxguy
Level 2

Thanks. Perhaps my question wasn’t clear. How many years back can I use PTO to file for my clients with unfiled returns? Paper is fine — just need to confirm I can use the software to file back to 2014 prior to purchasing. Thanks again.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Yes...but to be clear, you have to purchase 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, & 2019.  You can't use 2019 software to do a 2014 return.

( Generic Comment )"
txtaxguy
Level 2

Got it. Thanks. 😀

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

YVW

And a piece of advise.  Do the oldest first & get it all 'finalized' then roll to the next year.

No matter how simple the return seems... there *will* be issues if you don't.  Voice of experience talkin' here.😆

And more free (experienced..) advice.  Get a retainer, a large one.... get it replenished if necessary as you work thru the old years, first.

( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think they took some older years of PTO "out of service". Not sure how far back. @itonewbie ?

Ex-AllStar
txtaxguy
Level 2

@sjrcpa I started a practice return and it lets me choose years going back to at least 2014 (which is what I need), so I think I'm good. I'm a tax attorney and have a lot of clients (tax controversy) with unfiled tax years. I think this is a good solution to use for them. Thanks. 

txtaxguy
Level 2

@abctax55 Excellent advice and very much appreciated! 🙂 

sjrcpa
Level 15

Good to know.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@itonewbie is on a well deserved hiatus. PTO (now only PT) was ITO and they did simply remove some of the older years. There was uproar when announced. The lesson - always keep a pdf copy of the final return locally, so if they pull the plug you have some sort of backup. 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-1040/help/comparing-lacerte-and-proseries-and-proconnec...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns