Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP’s 2020 roth IRA contribution disallowed due to MAGI. Contribution recharacterized in 2021 as a nondeductible trdl contribution. What reporting requirements for 2020?

kthdgs
Level 1
The contribution was recharacterized through a trustee to trustee transfer in 2021.  No reporting forms were sent for 2020 but it is for a 2020 contribution.
I believe there is a statement required. But is form 8606 required or is that required in 2021?
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

See page 6 of instructions for 5329 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5329.pdf

Don't report anything anywhere. No statement required.  A 5498 will be issued in 2022 to show the rollover in 2021. 

P.S. 8606 is for IRA (different animal than Roth IRA) 

Is the IRA going to be deductible in 2021? Is this the beginning of a poorly done backdoor IRA? 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
kthdgs
Level 1

I suppose it does look that way. 

The Roth contributions were made to during 2020 before an unexpected spike in income at the very end of the year.  Once it was discovered that the Roth contributions were going to be disallowed the TP made a recharacterization of both the contribution and the earnings to a traditional IRA  - but it would be a nondeductible contribution.  It should still be a 2020 contribution however and the basis in the contribution needs to be protected.

See the instructions on form 8606 page 4 and 5 (mostly the top of page 5).  Under this guidance I believe it needs a statement attached in 2020 and then will be reported on the 8606 in 2021 to protect the basis in the nondeductible traditional contribution.

George4Tacks
Level 15

I stand corrected. Yes, you need to attach a statement. I am unsure of how to do that ProConnect Tax. You should contact support. My guess is it will be a pdf attachment if e-filing. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers