Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sch A Line 5a General Sales Tax - forced Optional Sales Tax Table calc

LoveTax
Level 3

Sch A Line 5a General Sales Taxes  using Optional Sales Tax Table: how does PTO calculate General Sales tax amount when "2=force sales tax" is chosen?

2019 Sales Tax Deduction Calculator shows a much lower result compared to ProConnect Tax Online number. Is there a way to generate sch A optional statement to review the calc?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

If there is a local sales tax, you will need to enter the applicable tax rate before PTO can impute the correct amount of tax.

See also this recent discussion: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-online-discussions/discussion/state-and-local...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
LoveTax
Level 3

I do enter the local sales tax of 0.5% (entered as 0.005) Per IRS table instructions and calculator, however, PTO overcalculates? sales taxes totaling $1,043 and without local sales entry of $1,008. Per IRS 2019 Sales Tax Deduction Calculator result should be $539. This is for CA family of 1, total income of $3,060.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Something is not right.  Income of $3,060?  And $539 is not even on the sales tax table for CA (without accounting for local sales tax).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
LoveTax
Level 3

My bad, I was trying to increase income numbers above $20K for the IRS tool. Here is the IRS screenshot of $351 for $3,600 income for zip code 92677 (income below $20K):

Capture.JPG

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

You may like to check your input again.  PTO is imputing the correct amount for sales tax.  See attached.

Sales Tax Input.pngSales Tax Output.png

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers