Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ref# 386 Error on 2018 Tax Return

idawkrizman
Level 3

Ref #386 - Error  - Pension, IRA #1: This Pension, IRA item contains invalid data and should be deleted. 

I am receiving this Critical Diagnostics error.  When I go to the input screen it takes me to the 1099-R / Form 8606 - Other Information tab.  to the box at the bottom: 1=delete this year, 2=delete next year, 3=skip this year (proforma only) 

I do not understand what I would be deleting of if this should be skipped?  

There was a IRA distribution in 2017 but not in 2018

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @idawkrizman.  You can wait but you should ask yourself whether there is any tax reason to keep those entries.  If you'd like to keep the history of something, that may belong to your carryforward notes instead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

If that's not relevant, why not just delete it from the quick entry screen?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
idawkrizman
Level 3

That is what I may do, just wondered what it was to determine if it is relevant.  I just don't understand why it is there.  I will give it a couple days, as I am waiting for some other responses form the client, but may have to do that.  Thanks.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @idawkrizman.  You can wait but you should ask yourself whether there is any tax reason to keep those entries.  If you'd like to keep the history of something, that may belong to your carryforward notes instead.

Still an AllStar