Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTO access to previous tax returns

TaxGirl619
Level 1

I'm new to PTO and just purchased 2020 software. I have potential client who needs me to do their 2017 and 2018 return. They self-prepared 2019 return already. When I tried to access 2017/2018 it gave me this message:

Purchase tax year 2019 returns to continue.
In order to access or create requests for previous tax years, you’ll need to have at least one tax year 2019 return in your account. If you think you reached this page by accident, please try again later.

I don't need 2019. What should I do? TIA

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
itonewbie
Level 15

Did you get the message only when you try to print the return?  No credit is required for preparing a prior year return but a current year credit will be deducted from you account once you print or e-file a prior year return.

If you get the message when you try to access a prior year dashboard or create a prior year return, you should contact Support as they probably need to update your account on the back-end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

You can create a 2019 tax return and do everything EXCEPT print or efile the return and there is no cost. Try recreating the 2019 return as filed, so that you can get used to the software. You can "Check Return" and view the forms, for no charge.

Possibly after doing that you can then create the prior year. If that fails you will need to contact support. In the BLUE left column there is Live Chat when they are available.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns