Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining EFIN

Sam55
Level 1

Does anyone know if you can obtain an EFIN without operating a for profit or non profit business? I am simply wanting to e-file my return and a family member's return through Proconnect, but don't see any options to obtain an EFIN that would apply to me. All options seem to request business information on the IRS application process. The IRS agent I spoke to said to request the EFIN from the tax software provider who should have one, but I don't think Proconnect provides this option.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

It sounds like you will be operating as a sole proprietor. You do not need to charge for your service, but personally I would have an expectation that the family reimbursement for the cost of the software. All the steps are here https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/become-an-authorized-e-file-provider

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Sam55
Level 1

You can do sole proprietor, but then you have to select "for profit," which then I assume you would need a PTIN, etc. I am not for profit and won't be getting a PTIN. I guess I will just have to paper file.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

What's the harm in getting a PTIN?

Ex-AllStar