Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name Control individual - max number of characters

LoveTax
Level 3

What is the max number of characters allowed for IRS for individual names. I have this suggestion diagnostic in PTO: "Taxpayer's name is being truncated in the e-file. The IRS may delay the posting of the taxpayer's return and, if applicable, any refund.".  Agent via Live Chat responded that 40 is the max number allowed. I have client totaling 37 characters including spaces (first name last name first name last name). Why diagnostic? and How to fix? Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
itonewbie
Level 15

The most practical thing to do is to abbreviate the middle name(s) since the IRS' name control will only match the (first 4 characters of) the last name against the SSN.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
LoveTax
Level 3

My clients don't have middle names. Thank you for the first 4 characters tip!

0 Cheers
RMP
Level 1

My client's first name has 5 characters, last name has 8 and I am still getting this truncated message.

His wife's last name is different but the error is showing on his first name with the 5 characters.

These are the exact names used in previous tax returns.

Any suggestions would help!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Try deleting his name and re-entering it.

Ex-AllStar