Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-member LLC to single member LLC

stephanie2
Level 2

I have a unique situation that I am not sure how to handle in regards to Form 1065 and members of an LLC.  This particular LLC has/had 2 members (husband & wife), which the husband passed away in July of 2020.  Does Form 1065 need to be marked as final?  Does the single member need to file Form 8832 in addition to Form 1065?

Thank you in advance for your help!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

You file a 1065 for the short year ending on the death. For the rest of the year report the activity on the 1040 - Sch C, E as appropriate.

No 8832.

I tend to mark the 1065 final and attach a statement saying why. I don't know the technically correct answer.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

You file a 1065 for the short year ending on the death. For the rest of the year report the activity on the 1040 - Sch C, E as appropriate.

No 8832.

I tend to mark the 1065 final and attach a statement saying why. I don't know the technically correct answer.

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, the 1065 needs to be marked as final.  As a side note, if an extension was not filed, it is probably late with fairly large penalties.

No, unless the Single Member LLC wants to be taxed as a corporation, 8832 would not be needed.

Because the 1065 is being marked as "final", it is possible that if the Single Member LLC need to use the LLC's EIN (such as for employees), they might need to contact the IRS EIN office to let them know about the situation.  But if there are no employees, excise taxes, or employer retirement plans that need the EIN of the LLC, you may just leave it or cancel the EIN.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Susan is faster than me again.  I need to keep my answers shorter.   😂

IRonMaN
Level 15

That's why I tend to go with yup or nope😀

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

Unless of course your new contract with Inuit pays you by the word 🤣

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

Unless of course your new contract with Inuit pays you by the word 🤣

Yeah, Intuit recently changed my contract.  They took my previous pay ($0) and prorated that now based on the number of words I type.

@IRonMaN wrote:

the word 🤣

Bird is the word ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doopjZnA4MU