Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any strategy that a person with $162,000 of total income ($60,312 pension and IRA dist., $$36,672 taxable SS), that might save some of the $21,901 total tax.

randyhinds
Level 1
Retirement contributions and Social Security classification got the taxpayer in this mess.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
abctax55
Level 15

Tax rate of 13.5%...

Doesn't sound like that much of a 'mess'  to me.

And I don't understand your comment, at all.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

That's kinda like going down to the morgue, pulling a guy out of the cooler and then calling a doctor to see if the doctor can help.  At this point, all he can do is pay the tax.

Slava Ukraini!
randyhinds
Level 1

I say mess because the client did not understand the consequences of his actions. He has already paid over $13,000 in taxes, and tax avoidance is an objective of mine, regardless of the tax rate. I am not jealous of high income individuals like this person, just trying to do my best for him. 

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Normally there's nothing to do after the fact but Congress was handing out DeLoreans this year to eligible individuals.  If the retirement stuff was COVID related they can spread it over 3 years or pay it back.

BobKamman
Level 15

Brazil

abctax55
Level 15

No one, except you, said anything about jealousy. 

Your OP said $ 21000 'total' tax.  What one has already paid in (or not) isn't relative to the overall rate.

Your inference that I don't also do what I can to minimized my clients tax rate is unnecessary.

Thanks for clarifying what you meant by "mess".   Clients that don't seek advice in advance don't get much of my sympathy.  Nor do ones in such a low bracket.  

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

Iron Man, you hit the coffin nail on the head...

IRonMaN
Level 15

I carry my ACME hammer wherever I go. 🔨

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"and IRA dist"

Give it Back.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

What do you mean by "SS classification" ?  Even with zero pension and IRA income, 85% of his Social Security would be taxable.  Are you trying to do retirement planning for him, not just tax planning?  Sure, he might have been able to wait to start collecting Social Security.  And he might have been hit by a truck tomorrow.  Or he might live in Texas and froze to death after contracting Covid.  When my clients ask me when they should start collecting Social Security, I first ask them for their date of death.