Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is owner's loan interest deductible by SMLLC?

MBooks-Tax
Level 3

Business property is in the name of the SMLLC owner. Owner takes out loan secured by business property

Edited: For some reason, my entire question was not posted. Here is more information: The business property is in the individual's name. The loan was also in the individual's name but the proceeds were used exclusively for business operations & the owner received a 1098 reporting the interest.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

What were the loan proceeds used for?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
MBooks-Tax
Level 3

Thank you for your question. I updated the post with more information. The loan proceeds were used for business operations.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"for business operations"

Does not give anyone enough info to provide an answer.

For instance: Bought Supplies used on the job. Paid other debt. Paid payroll and owner draws. Paid payroll taxes. Bought a vehicle.

This is a discussion. You need to participate, if you would like help from peers. Details always matter.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Sounds like the  interest is deductible as a business expense.

Curious as to why he got a 1098. Is it also secured by his home? Or are you saying the "business property" is his home?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
MBooks-Tax
Level 3

Thanks again! There is no easy way to tell specifically what the loan was used for. According to the owner, the loan was used to "run" the company. Bookkeeping prior to 2020 was sketchy. Because of the amount of the loan compared to total expenses, and the existence of other debt, the loan was probably used for all of the above, except payroll. There is no payroll. 

The business property is a separate location from home.

I think 1098 was issued because the property securing the loan is individually owned and the loan was also in the name of the individual.

0 Cheers