Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS did not receive 2017 paper tax return mailed

skyworks
Level 5

A client mailed 2017 paper return (back in June 2020) to IRS, just called IRS they did not receive it and suggest the client to refile.

I think IRS shuts down for efiling till Jan 2021, eventhrough in Jan, year 2017 return will not be elebigible for efiling, right??

Anyone has suggestions? Appreciated in advance

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
skyworks
Level 5

thanks, he is getting refund, will mail again to IRS

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You can efile the current, and two years back, so you will have missed the deadline for 2017 when efile opens back up in January. You will have to mail in your clients 2017 1040. If your client owes he should pay ASAP on irs.gov using a credit care or direct debit his bank.

skyworks
Level 5

thanks, he is getting refund, will mail again to IRS

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@skyworks wrote:

A client mailed 2017 paper return (back in June 2020) to IRS, just called IRS they did not receive it and suggest the client to refile.

I think IRS shuts down for efiling till Jan 2021, eventhrough in Jan, year 2017 return will not be elebigible for efiling, right??

Anyone has suggestions? Appreciated in advance

Did your client mail in the return by certified mail or PDS?  If so, did your client have a record of the IRS receiving the return?  If yes, it may not have been lost and may just be among the 1 million returns the IRS has yet to process.  The IRS has asked taxpayers to not file duplicate returns as it will further complicate the processing of their returns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Let me guess -- he mailed it in the same envelope with a 2018 and/or 2019 return.  Does IRS show they received those?  IRS has this big stapler . . .

itonewbie
Level 15

That would be a big no no!  Should never do that but some apparently do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar