Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I am only preparing my retun and my relatives, can I efile with proconnect or do I have to have the paid preparer authorization?

geordy595
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can, but you will need an EFIN.

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

If you're not a tax professional, you really shouldn't be using any professional tax software because (1) these programs, by design, generally require much more technical knowledge to operate and (2) you will not be able to e-file any return, not even your own, without an EFIN, which the IRS only issues to tax professionals who apply for it through an extensive process.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
geordy595
Level 2

ok thanks.  I am retired, but have continued to use proconnect which I am comfortable with.,'

You are indicating that it is not possible to send without EFIN.

Too late to apply for this year so I will just mail in.

Will check with Intuit if I should migrate to another product (e.g., TurboTax) if I would allow me to send via efile.

George4Tacks
Level 15

Start the EFIN process now so that you are ready to go in the future. https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/become-an-authorized-e-file-provider

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns