Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

identical client got different results from Proconnect and Turbo Tax

EllaQCPA
Level 3

Issue: my client has W-2 box# 12 code W $ 3555. after entering all the forms into Proconnect, it shows the client has a balance due of $ 3,675.

For testing purposes, I entered all the information again in Turbo Tax, it's telling me the client has a balance due of $ 5,024 (1,349 difference).

I compared both 1040 Forms between Proconnect and Turbo Tax, and have noticed Form 1040 line# 11 AGI is off by the exact $ 3555 ($ 208,052 from Proconnect, and $ 211,602 from Turbo Tax). the HSA max employer contribution was captured by Turbo Tax on 1040 Form line# 8 other income from Schedule 1, Line 9 $ 3555.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/p969--dft.pdf

Am I missing anything here? 

CPA Master of Accounting
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

Check F.8889 and your input for the form.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
EllaQCPA
Level 3

Thank you! the Proconnect 8889 form is blank, while Turbo Tax Form 8889 line#9 has the employer contribution amount of $3555. 

I did go back and checked all the questionnaires in Procoonect, it still generates a blank form. 

Would you please kindly advise which part is missed? Thank you so much!

CPA Master of Accounting
0 Cheers
EllaQCPA
Level 3

Not sure I need to enter anything with the [override] label in Proconnect 

CPA Master of Accounting
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

When in doubt, always read the filing instructions.  Tax programs are only as good as you understand the law and tax rules because they all depend on your input.  You should also review the diagnostics because they give you clues as to what you may have missed.

In your case, you should have been prompted to make the input under Deductions > HSA/MSA/LTC Contracts (1099-SA, 5498-SA) > Health Savings Account (8889).  You need to at least enter a 1 for Type of coverage: 1=self only, 2=family.

Having said, that the omission shouldn't have caused the Box 12 amount to be picked as income.  It is very likely that you had coded the $3,555 incorrectly somewhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
EllaQCPA
Level 3

Thank you! It is really helpful to get a second opinion. After reading Publication 969, my understanding is the employer-matched Health Savings Accounts (HSA) is pre-tax. So Proconnect is correct and Turbo Tax is wrong? The client only has one W-2 form box# 12 coded as W.

CPA Master of Accounting
0 Cheers