Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm trying to e-file the state only return - program doesn't give me a diagnostic that it can't be efiled -but won't let me - fed return was rejected when I did extension

tia
Level 2
I thought you could file a stand alone state return without filing the federal. My client had fraud to am required to paperfile - but want to e-file the state return when I click submit state - e file it won't let me
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitRebecca

Hi Tia - 

It's been a while since I did this, but if I recall correctly, with states like CA you can transmit them standalone by: 

1. Go to Profile and check the box for Federal
  2. Go to File Return
  3. Uncheck "E-file with federal" on the California line, then
  4. Uncheck the "Select tax returns to e-file" box on the Federal line.

I believe this is necessary for states like CA where federal return data has to be "e-file ready" in order to send the state return. If you have any PDF attachments make sure they're not set to "send with federal" either, as those can throw a similar transmission failure.

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Some states can be efiled alone, but some are piggybacked on federal. Here is a list:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/individual/help/ef-atlas-federal-state-ef-method-standalone-...

George4Tacks
Level 15

Remove the check mark to efile federal in the Profile screen.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
tia
Level 2

I did that and it still won't let me efile just the state  - what else am I missing? If it try to e-file the federal which I know it will get rejected - will it reject the state return as well? That seems to be my only solution short of paper filing the state return.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Which state?

0 Cheers
tia
Level 2

California 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

What is the efile error message. State should be able to efile as a standalone. 

0 Cheers
tia
Level 2

says its missing federal return data when efile with fed link problem occurred transmitting e-file data. If problem persists call customer support. when I click e-file.

I must not have something checked right - I removed the e-file federal check but in the actual e-file area - it only shows california but the e-file with federal has a grayed out checkmark. 

I'm going to have to call tech support I guess.

0 Cheers
IntuitRebecca

Hi Tia - 

It's been a while since I did this, but if I recall correctly, with states like CA you can transmit them standalone by: 

1. Go to Profile and check the box for Federal
  2. Go to File Return
  3. Uncheck "E-file with federal" on the California line, then
  4. Uncheck the "Select tax returns to e-file" box on the Federal line.

I believe this is necessary for states like CA where federal return data has to be "e-file ready" in order to send the state return. If you have any PDF attachments make sure they're not set to "send with federal" either, as those can throw a similar transmission failure.

tia
Level 2

That seemed to work - let me e-file state only and said it's been received by Intuit. Thank you so very much

alxmonk
Level 1

the return is locked, go to return on the top right and unlock it.

that'll do the trick.

Kris_L
Level 1

This was definitely the answer...unlock!

0 Cheers