Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am finishing up three returns for a client. I cannot use old credits and cannot buy new ones. Any way to get these printed?

branchop
Level 2
I bought credits for 2020 today ( Jan 1)- but it won't let me apply them to the older years.  Support is closed all weekend, client needs retruns Monday.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

11 Comments 11
itonewbie
Level 15

Credits you purchase is only good for the current tax year.  They automatically expire at the end of each year.  To prepare any return this year, for current or prior year, you will need to purchase credits if you have not already placed a pre-order for TY2020.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
branchop
Level 2

Understood - but I cannot buy credits.  When I went in to buy them they are good for a future date only and I need them today.  

From what it looks like - I cannot purchase credits and make them active today.   Even if they are for a prior year.  The only thing I can buy are pre-ordered returns.

I currently have pre-ordered returns but cannot access them. 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Folks were having problem using the balance of their credits as of mid day yesterday.  Intuit had been flagged but it is unlikely anyone will respond until after the holidays.

Time to put your people skill into practice if your clients get anxious.  If they are the type who want things done timely, they wouldn't have waited until Dec 31.  If they were extended for foreign earned income exclusion, etc., they still have time.  It's a major holiday and I haven't come across any client who expects to receive a return this time of the year.

Enjoy your holiday and take a break.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
branchop
Level 2

I appreciate that your clients fit into perfect boxes, whose calendars perfectly line up with holidays.

Unfortunately, some us do not have that luxury.  I do expect that when I need my software it is available, no matter what day of the year.  This is not a time to be pushing Intuit's problem back onto their customers or their clients. 

They have known for a year that this was going to happen when we could no longer use credits from prior year (of which I still have some).  And yet there is not a way to produce a return until potentially January 7.

For me this is a potential loss of a client and a missed deadline from the IRS.  Whether you agree with my business practice or how I handle the immediate needs of my clients is really not my concern. 

Since Intuit knew this was an issue yesterday, I am apparently not the only one that is trying to complete returns offseason.   

Maybe instead of condescending replies, you should enjoy your break.

itonewbie
Level 15

You are apparently over-reacting to my post.  There is nothing condescending in the message - you may like to read that again.  Had I wanted to take a break and not responded to you, you wouldn't have known this is a problem that was already escalated to Intuit.

Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@branchop wrote:
...They have known for a year that this was going to happen when we could no longer use credits from prior year (of which I still have some).  And yet there is not a way to produce a return until potentially January 7....

Just a tip for next year and I explained this in another post 2 days ago: If you are still working on returns towards the end of the year but have credits remaining on the account, you should trigger a print of those returns to utilize the credits before Dec 31.  If you had done that, you would have been able to use your 2019 credits instead of having to pay with your 2020 credits when you file these returns.

Still an AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"Since Intuit knew this was an issue yesterday,"

This is a peer-to-peer message board that is sometimes visited by employees of Intuit.  I don't recall seeing any employees in here yesterday when the issue was noticed and reported by other users, so as far as anyone here knows,  Intuit doesn't realize there is any problem yet.   

Its a holiday weekend, so its doubtful it will be addressed until early next week.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
puravidapto
Level 7

First of all, I would like to report that I have the same problem as the poster: I cannot buy 2019 license and the 2020 license I bought is a pre-order and won't be available until 01/07/2020. I cannot save a 2019 license because the client just came to me to do an amended return.

I know this is a peer-to-peer site and you cannot help with the issue. I would recommend to log this as a problem in this link, so that it is exposed and hopefully resolved. While you are there, please help to vote my proposal. Thanks.

--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
IntuitBoris
Employee
Employee

I think the ProConnect team was able to resolve this issue.  Please give this a try

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Happy new year, @IntuitBoris!. Thanks for the update.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@branchop 

Regarding the fact that the credits magically disappear on 12/31 each year is disclosed in the fine print; the stuff you read when you sign up for them.....  

I agree it's not a nice way to handle things; but it is Intuit.  Where the customer is never wrong, er, right.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"