Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop MFS critical diagnostics

CTC
Level 3

For 2019, TP filed MFS, in 2020 she is single, but PTO is asking for MFS info such as SSN, etc. since the return is for a community property state. How do I stop the critical diagnostic since she is divorced and should no longer file as MFS?

I clicked the MFS choice to verify that the info for her ex isn't there and removed it. The error still comes up.

Thanks!

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

Are any of the income items coded to the spouse? 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
CTC
Level 3

No, nothing is coded to the ex.

Last year (2019) the return was MFS and I entered everything, but she was divorced in 2020, so I remove his info and changed her to Single. That was done, prior to working on her return but the critical diagnostic keeps showing up.

Thanks.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Screen 1 change back to MFS. Is the spouse still showing? If so, delete the full name, occupation, DOB any thing - annihilate that person. Then go back to single. 

Are there any hangers on, like capital loss carrryovers, etc that might be tied to the ex spouse.

It is there somewhere, put on your Sherlock hat!

CTC
Level 3

I called ProConnect yesterday and they said to just ignore the error by clicking ignore, since she couldn't figure out what the problem was. I didn't think she was correct, but she insisted and of course it was rejected. This is unbelievable and the client needs proof that it has been filed.

I've gone through the entire return and can't find where the problem was. Last year I just had to put in her income into her column and 0 into the ex column since she didn't know his income, plus they didn't share any assets.

When I check MFS it just shows a last name, which is done by auto fill since his last name is different from her last name.

Thanks.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Based on your statement "Last year I just had to put in her income into her column and 0 into the ex column since she didn't know his income, plus they didn't share any assets." Do you have any input for the "Income Allocation for Community Property States"? If so, delete it. You may have to "Click on button to expand" if any of those input are not greyed out. 

There must be some residual input from last year that is messing it up. Maybe even the Prior Year Summary? 

CTC
Level 3

The only problem I can find is with Form 8958 where it says Other registered domestic partner's SSN. The agent from PTO said to put not applicable which didn't fix the problem. Due to that being on the form that makes the form show up with an error. I can't seem to remove that option since once you click in the box, you're stuck with one of those options.

0 Cheers