Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix Estimate Tax Worksheet number?

Jaye
Level 3

ES worksheet.JPG

12c number should be the smaller of line 12a or 12b.

But the bigger number(12b) was auto selected, resulting in Estimate

How can I fix it?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

That's because you've overridden the option for Payments & Penalties > 2021 Estimated Tax (1040-ES) > Estimate options [O] with option 3=Greater of 90% of 2021 or 100/110% of 2020 tax.  The one you should select is 2=Lesser of 90% of 2021 or 100/110% of 2020 tax.  I'm assuming you are pretty certain your client will have a lower liability this year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
itonewbie
Level 15

That's because you've overridden the option for Payments & Penalties > 2021 Estimated Tax (1040-ES) > Estimate options [O] with option 3=Greater of 90% of 2021 or 100/110% of 2020 tax.  The one you should select is 2=Lesser of 90% of 2021 or 100/110% of 2020 tax.  I'm assuming you are pretty certain your client will have a lower liability this year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Given the uncertainties around tax law changes, adjustments for future installments may be necessary if you really don't want to use the ol' trusted prior year exception.

Still an AllStar
Jaye
Level 3

Thank you for your advice.

I fixed the federal option to 2=Lesser of 90% of 2021 or 100/110% of 2020 tax and if fixed!!! 

Yes, I'm quite certain my client would not need estimated tax payment because he set much higher withholding amount from his W2 this year.

May I ask what is the right option for CA?

And what is "the ol' trusted prior year exception"?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Prior year exception is 100/110% of 2020 tax.

CA works the same way as federal but you can't use prior year exception if your client wasn't a FY CA resident.

Still an AllStar
taxprepp
Level 3

I have a state return I am doing, and this was great information!

Jaye
Level 3

Thank you! I appreciate your help!!!

itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @Jaye and @taxprepp!

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers