Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enter WI Rent Certificate

ventureconsult
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

That's because you still need to complete those details from the Rent Certificate.

On the same input screen I referred to, click on EF Certificate in tiny prints in the top-right corner and replicate the entries from the Rent Certificate.  The CD will then be cleared to enable e-filing.

The signed certificate must still be mailed in to the DOR.  PTO will generate a Form W-RA for that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
itonewbie
Level 15

These are usually found under State & Local.

In this case, it is under State & Local > Other Credits > WI Credits, on the Renter & Property and Homestead tabs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
ventureconsult
Level 2

Thanks very much for this itonewbie.   Unfortunately, I've been through the WI "Renter & Property Tax" and "Homestead" Credit inputs too many times. 

While ProConnect creates an error message requiring a Rent Certificate (or property tax bill) with a Schedule H, it does not ask the appropriate questions to generate a Rent Certificate (such as:  Name & Address of Landlord, monthly rent paid, is this a nursing home, etc.) 

I'm working on a 2018 return - hopefully  2019 is better.

Thanks again - I appreciate the assist!

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Are you trying to use PTO to prepare a Rent Certificate?  Rent Certificate is something that needs to be prepared outside of PTO and signed by the landlord.  The duly signed Rent Certificate must then be mailed to the WI DOR with Form W-RA.

The credit, on the other hand, will be computed so long as you make the entries as explained.

Still an AllStar
ventureconsult
Level 2

Thanks again itonewbie:)

No, I'm not trying to generate a Rent Certificate. We have one, but ProConnect is not asking for the inputs on the Certificate.  Here's the error message.

When Wisconsin Schedule H is included in the electronic return, the Property Tax Bill or Rent Certificate information must be completed in the "Wisconsin Other Credits" Screen.

Unfortunately, ProConnect inputs do not coincide with the Rent Certificate information.  I'm thinking I'll get property tax info, and see if that clears the error & permits e-file -- anticipating the State will follow up with a request for the Rent Certificate, which we can US mail upon request (or maybe I can attach to the filing -?).

Thanks again!

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

That's because you still need to complete those details from the Rent Certificate.

On the same input screen I referred to, click on EF Certificate in tiny prints in the top-right corner and replicate the entries from the Rent Certificate.  The CD will then be cleared to enable e-filing.

The signed certificate must still be mailed in to the DOR.  PTO will generate a Form W-RA for that.

Still an AllStar
ventureconsult
Level 2

Wow!  Thank you so much itonewbie!

Hiding in plain sight, and I had no idea.

You are truly a 'gentleman and a scholar.'

THANK YOU, I really appreciate your help!

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

YAVW, @ventureconsult!  Glad it helped you get over the hump!

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers