Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a Short-Year FY2021 tax return?

shellsbells09
Level 1
Client I've had for years is changing from calendar year Form 990 to Fiscal Year 990.  We need to file a Short-Year 2021 return (1 Jan - 31 May), but I cannot start a 2021 return in Intuit??
0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

You are correct. The 2021 forms are not out yet. Two choices - (1) prepare with 2020 software and it will indicate the fiscal year on the form or (2) file extension and wait a couple of months for the 2021 software to be released. First draft generally is released in November, but e-file will likely not be available until January. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think you are going to have to wait since 990s are required to be efiled (unless they have an exception for short year/year change returns).

Ex-AllStar
RickCPA85
Level 1

Hi, 

I'm filing a 990 year change as well.  I just pulled this from the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i990#en_US_2021_publink11283jd0e1284: "A short period return filed on the 2020 Form 990 can't be filed electronically unless it is an initial return for which the “Initial return” box is checked. . . "

I will be filing a 2021 short-period return, have you seen anything on that?  

Many thanks. 

Rick 

0 Cheers
Ben2
Level 2

But if you wait, I don't think the next year's full fiscal year return will be able to be efiled. PS only allows 1 return per software year to be efiled.

0 Cheers