Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign Property Depreciation

atif1040
Level 3

I am preparing a Sch E with foreign rental property. As I understand, the foreign property should be depreciated using the ADS under 30-year life and It should come on line 20c Section C on Form 4562. Anyone knows how can I achieve this result. TIA

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Don't mention it!

The reason is that you did not check the box for Alternative depreciation system (ADS) on the Auto & Additional Info. tab.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
itonewbie
Level 15

PTO does not have a toggle for properties used predominately outside the US.  Select 27.5 Yr residential property as usual for Method and enter 30 for Life or class life (recovery period automatic).  The depreciation will then show up on the line for 30 years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
atif1040
Level 3

Hi Thank you for your reply. 

I have tried this and the informaion goes to line 19h in section B. Am i missing something here, how can i show this on line 20c in section C? 

itonewbie
Level 15

Don't mention it!

The reason is that you did not check the box for Alternative depreciation system (ADS) on the Auto & Additional Info. tab.

Still an AllStar
atif1040
Level 3

Perfect!

Really appreciate your assistance. It worked fine. 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @atif1040!

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
rcharin
Level 2

I use Proseries. I am trying to use ADR method for foreign rental assets.  Is there a way to have the program make the computations or do I have to sue the "Other" category at the bottom of the depreciation worksheet?

I thought I saw a solution saying to go the the auto and other deprecation tab.  I cannot locate such a tab.

Thanks
Rodger  

0 Cheers