Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I obtain an EFIN for my business located in Canada? I got an EIN for the corporation but I was told I can't obtain an EFIN, as I do not have any SSN nor ITIN.

staccon
Level 1

Has anyone operating from outside the US found an alternative solution? Are there any external service providers that could help? Thanks so much for your help

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15
Foreign preparers not eligible for SSN will not be issued EFIN. You must, however, apply for a PTIN and include a Form 8946 in order to prepare or assist in federal tax return preparation for compensation. As you are probably aware, your clients will need to paper file and a Form 8948 with box 6a checked must be attached to the return.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
itonewbie
Level 15
Foreign preparers not eligible for SSN will not be issued EFIN. You must, however, apply for a PTIN and include a Form 8946 in order to prepare or assist in federal tax return preparation for compensation. As you are probably aware, your clients will need to paper file and a Form 8948 with box 6a checked must be attached to the return.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
staccon
Level 1
Hi! Thanks very much for your comments, very helpful. I already have my PTIN. Would you know if any external service provider would be able to efile tax returns on my behalf? If not, can I obtain a waiver from the efile requirement if I exceed more than 10 tax returns? Thanks again for your help
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
There is no service provider who would or should efile tax returns on your behalf. You are automatically exempted from e-filing regardless of the number of returns you prepare. What you should do is to ensure a Form 8946 was filed with the IRS so that they have it on record with your PTIN that you are not eligible for e-filing.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
staccon
Level 1
Awesome! Thanks so much for your very helpful comments
0 Cheers
NateTaxProf
Level 1
See page 15 of https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3112.pdf - *if* you had a US firm/preparer with a close business relationship they could establish a foreign EFIN for you. However, this would obviously require a very high level of trust.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Yes, a high level of trust. Not even Big 4 do that.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
"this would obviously require a very high level of trust"
And I'm guessing it would probably also require a big pile of money exchanging hands.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
NateTaxProf
Level 1
Well, sure. I'm just saying...maybe this person has a relative in the US with an EFIN. You never know.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Relative is not the kind of business relationship the publication describes...
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
staccon
Level 1
Thanks all. No unfortunately my company is not connected to any US-based business, but thanks for the suggestion. Well, I'll go for the paper file then. I used to work for one those big firms so I did not realize this could be a complication. Thanks again for all your help
0 Cheers
masterca
Level 1

A further wrinkle this year is that preparers are required to have an EFIN to file Form 114 which must be Efiled and foreign preparers can't get EFINs. Any solution anybody?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

File directly at the BSA FINCEN website. You do need to register there but no EFIN required.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers