Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excess scholarships as earned income

pfdcpa
Level 2

My client has excess scholarships above qualified expenses. when I try to enter that in the miscellaneous income screen I get an critical diagnostic asking for parents information.  From my understanding it adds to earned income and should be reported on the line for the W-2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I agree with Susan.

For some weird reason the IRS says that for purposes of the Standard Deduction that taxable scholarships can be considered as Earned Income.  But for the Kiddie Tax (and pretty much everything else), it is Unearned Income.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes it gets reported on the wages line, but it counts as unearned income for kiddie tax.

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I agree with Susan.

For some weird reason the IRS says that for purposes of the Standard Deduction that taxable scholarships can be considered as Earned Income.  But for the Kiddie Tax (and pretty much everything else), it is Unearned Income.

pfdcpa
Level 2

Thank you for your help.  That seems to fix my problem

0 Cheers
pfdcpa
Level 2

Thank you for your help

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You're welcome.

Ex-AllStar