Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excess Deductions 1041

alyle99
Level 3

I am working on a final 1041 where the only income is C.D. interest which is about 2k.  The fees associated with the close of of the estate is about 18K so there are excess deductions on the K-1's.  Are the beneficiaries able to use those deductions on their own 1040's and if so what line would those be added to?

Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This says under Proposed Regulations, did they get finalized?     ProSeries still throws them from the K-1 to Sch A Misc Itemized Deds.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
George4Tacks
Level 15
Be sure the file is marked FINAL.
Enter those fees in the appropriate Deductions category. More detail and I might be able to help. The excess should show up on the k-1 for each beneficiary. It would go from the k-1 to their separate 1040

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
alyle99
Level 3

Thank you. I am just curious on what line the beneficiaries would put that deduction their personal 1040's and if it would actually benefit them?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They would be a misc itemized deduction on Sch A of the 1040 which were taken away with TCJA in 2018, the beneficiaries states may still allow those types of deductions but the federal no longer does.

abctax55
Level 15

Consider this in determining how to treat those amounts:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/reporting-excess-deductions-on-termination-of-an-estate-or-trust-on-f...

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
alyle99
Level 3

Hi,

I think I agree with your solution. However the post above this states that they are misc itemized deduction and there is no benefit for the beneficiaries.  However if you add the excess deductions to line 22 on on Schedule 1 there would be benefits to the beneficiaries because it is an adjustment to income. Any thoughts on that?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This says under Proposed Regulations, did they get finalized?     ProSeries still throws them from the K-1 to Sch A Misc Itemized Deds.

0 Cheers
alyle99
Level 3

It appears it is still in the works!

Thank you

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"...Taxpayers may rely on the proposed regulations for tax years of beneficiaries beginning after 2017 and before the final regulations are published."

Per the IRS notice I attached - you can used the proposed regulation until a final one is issued.

AND - only "you" the preparer, after consultation with the preparer of the F 1041, can determine if the excess deductions qualify to be taken *above the line* per § 67(e).  To not research the issue further is a disservice to your client.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"