Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the 8879-PE form need to be signed by the client? In the File Return tab, eSignature, Client Authorization eSignature, nothing comes up to sign.

kupercomplete
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

If you are speaking of a trust, 8879-F needs to be signed. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
George4Tacks
Level 15

If you are speaking of a trust, 8879-F needs to be signed. 

kupercomplete
Level 1

Oops, I forgot to mention that is the electronic signature form for a partnership business return.  Not an individual return.

Thanks!

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Are you sure you checked the box to e-file in Screen 1? The form should be there.

itonewbie
Level 15

E-signature cannot be used on non-1040 returns.  The IRS has not published any new guidelines that would permit the use of e-signature on other types of returns.

Intuit did, however, introduce a new feature this year that would allow e-signature for entity returns, which people can use at their own peril risk.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
kupercomplete
Level 1

Yes I double checked that screen again just now and it is clicked.  I see that Intuit accepted it without the signature, so should be ok.  Thank you!

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

But you're not home free.  Just because it went through doesn't mean you've followed the regulations and guidelines for e-filing if you don't have an acceptable signature in wet ink before e-filing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
kupercomplete
Level 1

Oh!  Ok.  I will get their signature then.  Do I just keep the form in their file or do I attach it somehow?

Thanks!

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

You're late already and need to do so now.  The form just needs to be kept on your file in case of audits.

Still an AllStar