Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Client Name under "Clients" when spouse passes

DAP
Level 2

Hello, I have tried various times to change the client name under "Clients" from the husband to spouse. Husband passed in 2019 and I changed the wife to primary. The 2020 came over as single with all the new rental information but every time I go to edit it won't let me? I realize I only see it but there should be a way to update. When I try I get diagnostics you are trying to update an existing client. Due to 5 properties on depreciation I didn't want to re input. Any suggestions? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @DAP!

Would be happy to help where I can.

Looks like your issue is with not being to update your client's particulars from the Clients dashboard, if I understand you correctly.

You mentioned in Step 5 that your "screen goes blank" but you didn't seem to have done anything after the popup for Edit client information opens.  Could you clarify whether there's anything I have missed?

Did you previously have all the fields populated, especially the Date of Birth and Tax ID (presumably SSN)?  I don't have any problem changing the names of my clients but I suspect that's because we never enter anything in Clients other than the First name and Last name.

If you had previously entered the DoB and SSN for this client and had invited the deceased husband to Intuit Link, your client's Intuit Link account could be tied to that particular DoB and SSN, which would be needed for account recovery.

In that instance, you may like to try the following:

1. Select Edit client;
  2. Delete the existing entries for Date of birth and Tax ID;
  3. Hit Save;
  4. If PTO doesn't allow you to save the changes, skip to #6 below.  Otherwise, go to #5;
  5. Open Edit client again;
  6. Replace the deceased husband's First name and Last name with the surviving spouse's;
  7. Hit Save;
  8. Open Edit client again;
  9. Enter the surviving spouse's Date of birth and Tax ID;
  10. Hit Save; and
  11. If PTO doesn't let you save these changes, hit Close.

In case you are unable to update the DoB or Tax ID, I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point.  You should, however, keep in mind that the surviving spouse may have problem recovering the account if she loses her login credentials, unless she remembers to use her late husband's DoB and SSN.  Other than for your client's account recovery, these details in the Client record (or a lack thereof) will have no effect whatsoever on the returns you prepare for this client.

Please let me know how it goes.  Good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
itonewbie
Level 15

I get what you want to accomplish but can you clarify what are the steps you have taken (starting from rollover) and where you ran into roadblocks?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
DAP
Level 2

Step 1: Transferred client from 2019 to 2020 Step 2: In clients tab on the left panel clicked on the client I wanted to edit Step 3: client name is listed on top left and on the top right there is the ability to edit Step 4: click on edit and pop up screen lists all the profile data for deceased husband and the first and last name labels have a red * Step 5: the screen goes blank and I enter the spouse who is now the primary and only taxpayer and I get a notation at top of screen ! We were unable to update existing client. Is that helpful?

itonewbie
Level 15

@DAP  Why are you screaming?

You should realize this is NOT Intuit Support. We are users like you, unrelated to Intuit in any way, shape, or form, who volunteer our time without compensation of any kind, trying to help our peers.

If you feel my question is superfluous, you didn't have to respond.  But without understanding the details, I just couldn't give you any useful input.  Screaming does not help your cause, is discourteous, and unprofessional.

Still an AllStar
DAP
Level 2

Hello I am sorry I did not know my bold was on. I must have accidentally hit that under the details tab in error.  My eyes aren't great and it wasn't in caps so I didn't realize. Sorry for that mistake as I appreciated your response. 

itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @DAP!

Would be happy to help where I can.

Looks like your issue is with not being to update your client's particulars from the Clients dashboard, if I understand you correctly.

You mentioned in Step 5 that your "screen goes blank" but you didn't seem to have done anything after the popup for Edit client information opens.  Could you clarify whether there's anything I have missed?

Did you previously have all the fields populated, especially the Date of Birth and Tax ID (presumably SSN)?  I don't have any problem changing the names of my clients but I suspect that's because we never enter anything in Clients other than the First name and Last name.

If you had previously entered the DoB and SSN for this client and had invited the deceased husband to Intuit Link, your client's Intuit Link account could be tied to that particular DoB and SSN, which would be needed for account recovery.

In that instance, you may like to try the following:

1. Select Edit client;
  2. Delete the existing entries for Date of birth and Tax ID;
  3. Hit Save;
  4. If PTO doesn't allow you to save the changes, skip to #6 below.  Otherwise, go to #5;
  5. Open Edit client again;
  6. Replace the deceased husband's First name and Last name with the surviving spouse's;
  7. Hit Save;
  8. Open Edit client again;
  9. Enter the surviving spouse's Date of birth and Tax ID;
  10. Hit Save; and
  11. If PTO doesn't let you save these changes, hit Close.

In case you are unable to update the DoB or Tax ID, I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point.  You should, however, keep in mind that the surviving spouse may have problem recovering the account if she loses her login credentials, unless she remembers to use her late husband's DoB and SSN.  Other than for your client's account recovery, these details in the Client record (or a lack thereof) will have no effect whatsoever on the returns you prepare for this client.

Please let me know how it goes.  Good luck.

Still an AllStar
DAP
Level 2

Thank you. I was able to resolve with the steps you provided.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Perfect!  If those steps resolved your problem, please consider marking them the solution to help others who may have similar questions.

Cheers!

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
hpostal
Level 3

itonewbie,

You know more than most.

Maybe it is just not possible but how do I post a similar irritant to Proconnect's support that I am not able to denote CLIENT NAME as taxpayer & spouse.  Both are taxpayers and in too many instances the spouse's name is not reflected in instructions or communications as Proconnect only pulls the taxpayer's (singular) name?  The "tax return name" accepts the Joint naming but not the Client name.

The community does not have an answer, would support want to know I am irritated or just forget about it?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

You add irritations as suggestions to improve the product here 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-idea-exchange/idb-p/605

I do not think your idea is posted there yet,.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
DAP
Level 2

Than you for your response! 

0 Cheers