Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my client deduct hotel, rental car and other expenses if his temp position in another state 9mos. with a W2

CJ7
Level 1

My client work for a contract house, had a position in another state for one yr, and only paid per deim for 3mos, after the 3mos he got straight time. he was a W2 and only lasted 9 mos in Or.  Can he use a schedule C for his expenses after the 3mos.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
abctax55
Level 15

1) What's a contract house?

2) Your 'client'  PAID per diem?

3) Or?  meaning Oregon?

4)  Try again, with compete sentences.  You aren't charged by the word around here.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

Is this the same taxpayer where you asked to link a W2 to a Sched C to be able to write off expenses:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-discussions/discussion/is-it-possible-to-link...

Because first, Life Expenses are not part of tax deductions.

Being paid per diem means the person got paid. You cannot also write off something when you are employee being paid for that thing you are incurring. That's the point of per diem.

What you never told us is which part this person is an Employee. If all the time spent working was as the W2 employee, you should stop trying to consider any of it as "business write off" because any other time, unless working as "my own business" means it is personal time and personal life costs.

Giving details in a discussion style always helps. Example:

My taxpayer moved temporarily to Oregon for a job, was paid as W2 employee, for Feb-Aug. He then stay a few more months, but did not work, before returning to his home state of XX. Once back home, he resumed working his own business, which he has done for a couple of years as Sched C filer.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers