Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 state refund input

elscparichboro
Level 1

where to input state refund received for identical state payment in error and put in payment worksheet

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15
Which state? Please give more detail. Was the payment in error and put in payment worksheet allowed as a deduction in the prior year? What year? 1040 return?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

Huh? You need to restate your question. Maybe explain what happened....

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@elscparichboro To get a good answer, you must give more details. I am also guessing that you posted under the wrong software. I THINK you are using PROSERIES and not the online ProConnect Tax. 

elscparichboro
Level 1

Let me restate. Client paid a large state  estimated income tax payment in error in 2020. I caught error and got the state to issue a refund Also In calendar year 2020. Client can not deduct the large state income tax payment on schedule A due to 10k cap. I expect state to issue a 1099 to pick up refund as taxable page 1 income on the 2020 return. How do I record this refund in Pro connect to avoid a larger income tax bill for the client ?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

1. Since the 2020 estimate was refunded in 2020, you would be correct to not claim it as a deduction.

2. Even when a 1099 is issued for a refund, it is our job to compute whether it is taxable or not, There should be a worksheet to use, or just don't enter the 1099 and keep a note that it was not recorded because of the tax benefit rule. 1099's also indicate (or should indicate) the year the refund is issued for. In this case a 2020 1099 for 2020, but there might also be a 2020 1099 for 2019. (way too many 4 digit numbers in a row, but hopefully you get the idea.)

3. Are you using ProSeries or are you using ProConnect Tax (online)?

0 Cheers