Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

201901040X

Client waiting for refund from 1040X e-filed 9-22-20. Is anyone else having to wait this long? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

12 Comments 12
IRonMaN
Level 15

The IRS is running just a wee bit behind this year so the fact that your client hasn't received a refund yet on an amended return isn't surprising.

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Not surprising. I had a client wait almost 6 mos. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I Efiled 3 different 1040X returns, the 2 with refunds got the refund check within 4 weeks.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- 

What were the amounts and/or issues on the two that received quick refunds?  My experience with paper-filed amended returns has been that they are either paid very quickly, like within four weeks, or very slowly, like 14 to 26 weeks.  They won't tell us the criteria for a second look, but it probably involves amounts below a certain figure, and simple issues like an additional W-2 or mortgage interest deduction.  

Faster refunds on e-filed original returns ≠ fast refunds on e-filed amended returns

itonewbie
Level 15

I think a lot of people confuse electronic filing with actual processing of returns.  A return having been e-filed doesn't necessarily equate to the IRS processing the return; it just means that data has been entered into the IRS' system but the processing itself may take some time depending, in part, on whether the IRS will review the return in more details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Not large changes otr large refunds. 1 was a corrected 1099B, the other was a missed W2.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@itonewbie  "I think a lot of people confuse electronic filing with actual processing of returns"

What confuses people is that original returns are not reviewed by IRS for tax issues -- they are not "examined."  With paper returns, one clerk looks at them to make sure they are in an acceptable format, and then a keypunch clerk enters the data.  With electronic returns, the software performs both functions.  Neither the clerks, nor the software, look for audit issues.  E-filed amended returns, however, must still pass a smell test.  If the OP wants to tell us the issue and amount involved in his/her return,  it might illustrate how the system works.  

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

i must do a better job at reading....I thought this was a 1040X paper file. 

0 Cheers
psaund9860
Level 3

i filed a 1040X in February and the client still has not heard anything.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Have they checked for the status online?

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/wmar/login

0 Cheers
psaund9860
Level 3

Checked the site for status of the amended return and the site states the info is unavailable at this time; check again at a later time.

It's been 10 months.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Does it say the return has been received?  My client got the message that they were working on it and to call if he did not hear anything further after 14 weeks.  He called after 14 weeks and a nasty IRS clerk told him it hadn't been 14 weeks, and there was nothing she could do about it.  He called back a month later, I haven't heard the outcome of that call.  (The issue is IRS error in processing a solar credit carryover.)  If the IRS website doesn't say they have the return, I think it's "lost in mail" time to start over.  

0 Cheers