Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTO: Late Filing and payment Penalties

I entered 1=automatic in the late filing and payment fields but no computations were generated.  I try to let PTO compute the penalties. Any missing entry.  Thanks for your time and comment.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Is this for a 2018  or earlier return?  Theyve extended deadlines for many return types for 2019...so 2019 might not be late.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

@Just-Lisa-Now- Thanks for your comment.

This is for 2018 return.

As previously posted, both the federal as well as California CA 540 late filing and payment did not compute as I entered 1 in those fields (federal and CA).

Let me have your thoughts on this.  Thanks

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@itonewbie  is the resident PTO expert in here...maybe he can assist in this.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

You need to enter a Filing date on the first tab (Federal & State).  PTO needs that to know how far to compute the penalties for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

@itonewbie your advice works.  

But TP got 2-month automatic extension (Extension Pursuant to Regulation 1.6081-5(a)) and he also filed extension f4868 but no CA extension.  Therefore, how to tell PTO to compute (late filing and late payment) from October 15, 2019 for federal and April 15, 2019 for CA.

Can PTO also compute interest? The interest field does not have instruction to enter "1".

Thanks for your time.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

If you've got the extension entered in the software, it will take that into account when computing interest and penalty.

P.S. Federal late payment starts in June 2019. The extension only gives you extra time to file, not to pay.

Ex-AllStar

@sjrcpa Thanks for your comment.

FYI, client applied and paid the federal extension himself (this is a new client). Client has no f4868 and we were told that he just paid the extension on April 15, 2019 by showing us the transcript. 

Therefore, please advise how to enter the extension on PTO (federal extension up to October 15, 2019 but no extension for CA).  Any idea?

0 Cheers