Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print "CP2000" on top of 1040-X, is there a way?

puravidapto
Level 5

I can print a text on top of form 1040, but can I do the same on form 1040-X using ProConnect Tax software?

--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
Labels (1)
0 Cheers
22 Replies 22
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Out of curiosity, why would you want "CP2000" on the top of a 1040X?

The 1040X already has plenty of space to explain why you are amending.  There would be no need to write "CP2000" on the top when filing a 1040X.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Every CP-2000 I have seen instructs taxpayers NOT to file a 1040-X.  That's not to say I don't sometimes include it with a response to the CP-2000.  First, it's useful for checking the IRS math even when you agree with the adjustments.  And when you agree with some but not all, you can "show your work" to come up with an alternate proposal.  

At the office-supply store they sell these things called a "Sharpie," that can be used for writing anything you want at the top of any printed return.  They're not just for changing a map to show hurricane predictions.  

puravidapto
Level 5

Writing "CP2000" on top of form 1040X is an IRS requirement: "if you choose to file an amended return, write \"CP2000\" on top of it and attach it behind your completed response form."

--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

IRS doesn’t have requirements, just suggestions and recommendations. Remember their last name is “Service.”

“Don't file an amended return (Form 1040-X) for the tax year shown on page one of your notice. Once we receive your response, we'll make the corrections for you.”

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc652

“If you choose to file an amended return, write "CP2000" on top of your return and attach it behind your completed response form. Send the information in the envelope provided or fax it to the number shown on the notice.”

(Since they accept a fax, it’s not a real return and doesn’t require a signature.)

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp2000-notice

0 Cheers
puravidapto
Level 5

@BobKamman wrote:

(Since they accept a fax, it’s not a real return and doesn’t require a signature.

Do you mean the amended return in response to CP2000 is not a real return and will not be processed as an amended return? Speaking of which, how would a "true" amended return be processed, and where are the new data be stored? The return transcript will contain the original return, even after amended. So the data are in the record transcript, or account transcript?

Where did you get the info that it does not require a signature?

I agree that it does not always require an amended return when the situation is simple. My case is more complex, we agree on something (we agree we missed interest, dividend, and capital gain), and do not agree with something (we do not agree HSA distribution is taxable, Roth IRA conversion is taxable), and we need to add dependent credit, adjust the prior years' not allowed rental loss, etc. It would be easier and determinant to file an amended return. I would like to file electronically, and respond the CP2000 notice that we have E-filed.

--
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

IRS does not allow a faxed signature on a 1040 or 1040-X.  If they allow a faxed 1040-X along with an explanation of how you disagree with the CP-2000, they are telling you that it won't be recognized as a return. 

You want to e-file a 1040-X to one IRS office, and send a letter to another office telling them what you have done?  There may be a worse way to ask for trouble, but I can't think of what it would be.  Make sure your clients have their $60 ready for a Tax Court petition, because there is no way to avoid a Notice of Deficiency.  

0 Cheers
puravidapto
Level 5

@BobKamman wrote:

IRS does not allow a faxed signature on a 1040 or 1040-X.  If they allow a faxed 1040-X along with an explanation of how you disagree with the CP-2000, they are telling you that it won't be recognized as a return. 

You want to e-file a 1040-X to one IRS office, and send a letter to another office telling them what you have done?  There may be a worse way to ask for trouble, but I can't think of what it would be.  Make sure your clients have their $60 ready for a Tax Court petition, because there is no way to avoid a Notice of Deficiency.  

The IRS says (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp2000-notice😞

If you choose to file an amended return, write "CP2000" on top of your return and attach it behind your completed response form. Send the information in the envelope provided or fax it to the number shown on the notice.

Please note it says "if you choose to file an amended return", so either send it by mail or by fax, it is an amended return. Where did you see IRS does not allow a faxed signature on a 1040 or 1040-X in response to CP2000 letter while it allows other documents?

I see nothing wrong with E-filing an amended return, and send a "do not file" copy as a response to the letter. It would be the best way as the CP2000 office would not need to process the return. The only issue is there may be a PTO software bug that it does not send in the forms 8959 and 8960.

--
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

You know nothing about how e-filed amended returns are processed, so go ahead and learn the hard way.

0 Cheers
puravidapto
Level 5

@BobKamman wrote:

You know nothing about how e-filed amended returns are processed, so go ahead and learn the hard way.

No, I don't. How are they processed?

--
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Use a broad pen and write CP2000 on top of page 1 of the 1040X. Then follow the instructions that came with the CP2000. If it allow fax, fax it. If it does not allow fax, mail it. 

ex-AllStar
puravidapto
Level 5

@George4Tacks wrote:

Use a broad pen and write CP2000 on top of page 1 of the 1040X. Then follow the instructions that came with the CP2000. If it allow fax, fax it. If it does not allow fax, mail it. 

Thanks for the info, I will do just that. I was confused by the comment in this thread: "Since they accept a fax, it’s not a real return".

I was hoping that with or without CP2000 was written on top of page 1 of the 1040X, and whether it is mailed or faxed, it is a real amended return.

I do not see why it is not a real return, and I do not know the difference between not being a return and being a real return. I imagine that being not a real return means the information is just used to resolve the issues in the CP2000 letter, but I have information on the return that goes beyond the current issue, for example, form 8606.

--
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Ever the optimist, George has faith that IRS now has ink and maintenance contractors for its leased fax machines. 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tax-talk/discussion/re-have-a-used-machine-to-donate-to-irs/... 

BobKamman
Level 15

Will filing my Amended Return be processed faster when filed electronically?

Currently, the normal processing time of up to 16 weeks also applies to electronically filed Amended Returns.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently-asked-questions

Don't say you weren't warned. 

puravidapto
Level 5

@BobKamman wrote:

Will filing my Amended Return be processed faster when filed electronically?

Currently, the normal processing time of up to 16 weeks also applies to electronically filed Amended Returns.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently-asked-questions

Don't say you weren't warned. 

I would agree that mailing is more reliable when you use certified mail with return receipt, as the IRS has physical pieces of paper in a separate envelope, but I would think an amended return in response to a CP2000 letter is the same as a "normal" amended return.

--
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 12
Level 12

@puravidapto I have amended returns in response to CP2000 letter, and on more than one I had additional info from client that resulted in refund. I thought the amended return was processed normally after the reason for CP2000 was resolved with the amendment, as clients did receive refund. Based on them getting refund it seems after the amended returned resolved the CP2000 issue it was processed so client received refund, because of additional changes. Maybe @BobKamman can let us know why he believes the IRS will not send an amended through if sent along with reply to CP2000. I will say the couple that I recall took a loooong time, and it was before covid

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@Terry53029   I have attached a 1040-X to a CP-2000 response, so I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't be done in the right situation.  I am just saying that it should not be faxed if the result is a claim for refund.  That's because an original signature is required for a refund claim.  IRS might be ignoring that rule this week, but I wouldn't count on them doing it next week.  Or they may be ignoring it until Quality Review comes along in a sample of cases, and denies it just as the statute expires.  

An original signature on a response letter, referring to an attached 1040-X? Probably works if it is mailed to IRS. But if you have the taxpayer handy to sign the letter, it doesn't take much more effort to get the 1040-X signed also.  

I don't think the CP-2000 operation closes the case and then hands it over to another Exam office to open a new one for the 1040-X.  The case gets handled by one person, whether the result is an assessment, abatement or no-change.  IRS is inefficient, and even more short-staffed now that they are losing the anti-vaxxers, but generally they won't assign two people to do the work of one.  

(I'm not an anti-vaxxer, just an anti-faxxer.)

Terry53029
Level 12
Level 12

@puravidapto I followed the link that @BobKamman provided, and here is a answer about amended return.

"

If the information displayed in the CP2000 notice is correct, you do not need to amend your return unless you have additional income, credits or expenses to report. If you agree with our notice, follow the instructions to sign and return the response form in the envelope provided or fax it to the number shown on the notice. We require both spouses' signatures if you filed married filing jointly.

If you have additional income, credits or expenses to report, you may want to complete and submit a Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. You can get help at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

If you choose to file an amended return, write "CP2000" on top of your return and attach it behind your completed response form. Send the information in the envelope provided or fax it to the number shown on the notice.

0 Cheers
Nick MacDonald
Level 3

It would be nice if we could answer the original question.  How do you print CP2000 on the top of the return?  Boy, it's fun to watch a bunch of accountants try to one-up each other then get completely off topic.  

After a Disaster such as a Hurricane, the IRS extends due dates of the impacted area.  Last year, I needed to print "Hurricane Sally" on the top of returns, I couldn't find it. 

I created a one page poster that said HURRICANE SALLY and I listed the extended due date and casualty information.  I converted this to a PDF and attached it to the return. After the two years of extensions with Hurricane Katrina, I knew I had to come up with something.  I think I had to respond by letter to one of two.

George4Tacks
Level 15

Lacerte will print on top of the 1040. It will not print on top of the 1040x, 1041, 1120, ... Hence my answer of using a Sharpie is your only "correct" answer.  Since this is ProConnect Tax Online that same answer applies, since it won't even print on top of the 1040 (except for Date of Death).  

ex-AllStar
puravidapto
Level 5

@George4Tacks wrote:

Lacerte will print on top of the 1040. It will not print on top of the 1040x, 1041, 1120, ... Hence my answer of using a Sharpie is your only "correct" answer.  Since this is ProConnect Tax Online that same answer applies, since it won't even print on top of the 1040 (except for Date of Death).  

ProConnect does print text on top of 1040, but I cannot find way to do so on 1040-X. When we discover a feature that can help us with our work, we should request a change. For the rest of the companies in the world, we can make an enhancement request, but since we do not have this option, I posted the idea on "Community Ideas" board (this sounds like a community support the software), please go there and vote FOR the idea. We should do something positive. Also please vote for my general idea to be able to open and follow up with a case (bug report, enhancement request, problems, etc). The link is in my signature. Thanks!

--
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Who's the accountant?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Not me!

ex-AllStar