Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepaid for Returns that I won't use

morgan22
Level 1

I have unused returns that were paid for, and I can't use now due to clients cancelling their tax return preparations due to economic stress due to COVID.  Intuit says I am not allowed a refund for the prepaid amount that I paid in advance.  

This seems very unfair,  but they refused to let me talk to a supervisor about this.  Has anyone else had this issue, and possibly had a fair resolution from Intuit?

I would think that if we prepay for a service that will not be used, it should be refunded.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
itonewbie
Level 15

That's how it has always worked.  There is nothing really unfair about it.

First, your pricing depends on the volume of your purchase (although buying fewer returns may or may not have affected your price depending on where the thresholds are).

Second, refunding unused returns had never been Intuit's policy - they used to allow you to prepare prior year returns for free whether you had any leftover but even this policy was quietly changed last year, to many's dismay.  In exchange for that, however, you now only need to commit 10 returns for pre-order to be entitled to the volume discount.  You can then buy just whatever number of returns you may need along the way at the same price during the season; this should reduce the chance of you having leftover returns.

You win some, you lose some - that's the name of the game. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Also want to clarify that you won't "lose" those leftover returns per se.  Those credits can still be used in case you need to prepare any TY2019 returns in future years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

"clients cancelling their tax return preparations due to economic stress due to COVID."

Don't they still need to file tax returns?

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

And if work has already commenced, I'd hope that your EL has terms that would allow you to bill them a certain amount to recover your cost - fair and square, although there may be discretion with some relationship/hardship clients.

Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

"clients cancelling their tax return preparations due to economic stress due to COVID."

I was kinda wondering about that comment too 🤔

Slava Ukraini!
Accountant-Man
Level 12

That's how it has always worked.  There is nothing really unfair about it.

Read your contract.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.