Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partnership Tax return preparation question

cmcgeehen
Level 1

My client is a partnership LLC formed in DE for investment purposes. They have received a K1 from another partnership that is a CA LLC.  The DE partnership does not have a CA SOS number. Pro Connect is giving me an e-file error requesting this information. Are they required to get a CA SOS number when investing in a partnership based in CA?  It is passthrough income... please help me figure out how to clear this error. 

Thank you!

Tina

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If therye doing business in CA, they may need to register as a foreign LLC with the state of CA, you'll have to do the research dig on the CA Secretary of State website.

You may be able to get away with just entering 200000000000 as the SOS number, with a regular partnership in CA, thats what we use, they dont have an SOS number.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
cmcgeehen
Level 1

Thank you so much!  This partnership was created in Delaware and they invested in another investment partnership that is out of California. So they still need to register as a foreign LLC doing business in California if they are just investing in a partnership that is based out of California?

I will speak to the owners about it and use the 200000000000 to get around the system diagnostic error. 

Thank you so much!

Tina

0 Cheers
plrraz
Level 3

I just tried that for a 2021 return and it was rejected again.

0 Cheers