Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should net rental real estate and interest income from a partnership K-1 for a nominee IRA go on the 1040?

Fenway-cpa
Level 3

New client that has had K-1 from a partnership with net rental income and interest income, but in Part II of K-1 the IRA Custodian name and ID# is listed with the client's name and address.  The type in box I1 is Nominee IRA.  It is my understanding that this is income to the IRA, thus not taxable to client and does not go on 1040, however prior accountant (large firm) has been putting it on Schedule E for years...The partnership is commercial property investment firm.  Is this accurate?  TIA!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Nope...

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
abctax55
Level 15

Nope...

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxMonkey
Level 8

What TIN is listed on on the K-1?

0 Cheers
Fenway-cpa
Level 3
It is the IRA Custodian's (Fidelity)
0 Cheers
TaxMonkey
Level 8
I think that is a pretty good reason not to put it on the individual return
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
ya' think ??  :smiley::smiley:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Fenway-cpa
Level 3
I think the same, but as I said prior accountant is a large regional firm that had been putting on the 1040 for years...I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.  No need for sarcastic comments to the other commentator.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
No worries.  She's just pulling his leg.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
"....No need for sarcastic comments to the other commentator."  And it's so, so much FUN to yank on the Monkey's leg.
@Fenway.cpa  - stick around.  We pick on each other constantly - with a lot of respect tho.

Sounds like you have some amended returns to do, and possibly one ASAP (2014's)
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers