Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My client married in September 2018 and is filing MFS and got a 1095A for the months he was single. Any way out of the excess premium repayment?

mary-scott1720
Level 1

I have indicated the month he married but still half has to be repaid.  Am I missing something?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Filing as Married Filing Separately almost always disqualifies the Premium Tax Credit, which means it needs to be repaid (subject to the limitations based on income).  Why is he filing as MFS?

The only way to possible avoid the repayment is to file as Married Filing Jointly.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Filing as Married Filing Separately almost always disqualifies the Premium Tax Credit, which means it needs to be repaid (subject to the limitations based on income).  Why is he filing as MFS?

The only way to possible avoid the repayment is to file as Married Filing Jointly.

0 Cheers
mary-scott1720
Level 1
I was not sure since they married in September if that would help. Even with the repayment overall better off MFS.
0 Cheers