Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am an in-house corporate tax accountant. We file a single corporate return, 1 federal return and multiple state returns. Do I need to have an EFIN?

tjeakle
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15
That is the shortest answer I have seen today, but I'm not sure whether or not it is correct.  
As far as the EFIN goes, if you are using a professional tax software you are going to need an EFIN to e-file the return.  You can escape the requirement if you use the TurdoTax business package.  But then again, paper filing is always an option.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
IRonMaN
Level 15
That is the shortest answer I have seen today, but I'm not sure whether or not it is correct.  
As far as the EFIN goes, if you are using a professional tax software you are going to need an EFIN to e-file the return.  You can escape the requirement if you use the TurdoTax business package.  But then again, paper filing is always an option.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
I was in the wrong forum :smile:
I agree - no EFIN, no efile.....except for Turdo Tax.
It seems PTO is being used by more people to prepare their own returns; but I'm guessing an EFIN is still required.
@itonewbie - Jensen?
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
I think the answer is not required , but @The Intuit Boris is the go to for the "official"  PTO answer

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Maybe @PTOsTracy would know

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Hmmm, looks like most, if not all, tax products catering to tax professionals will need an EFIN and PTO is no different, if for nothing else, to prevent abuses.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
IntuitTracy
Employee
Employee
EFIN and PTIN would be required to efile, but not to paper file.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the back of my mine I think I learned somewhere that in this situation, the employee/preparer is a paid preparer. They work for the firm and are paid to prepare this return. That would require a PTIN https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/frequently-asked-questions-do-i-need-a-ptin 

As Tracy said, EFIN only if e-filing. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
From your link:

9. If an employee of a business prepares the business’ tax returns as part of their job responsibilities, do they need to obtain a PTIN? (revised 9/28/10)

No. An employee who prepares his employer’s federal tax returns is not required to sign as a paid preparer. Accordingly, unless the employee prepares other federal tax returns for compensation, he or she is not required to register and obtain a PTIN.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Okay, I need to buff up my aging eyes and glasses. Thanks, Bill

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Maybe you have buffed up your eyes once too often.  Personally, I would stick to buffing up glasses and leave your eyes alone.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
IntuitTracy
Employee
Employee
#Teamwork Thank you for the IRS link @George4Tacks
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers