Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal use of company car for Sch C?

matt1
Level 1

Wondering how we account for PUCC for Schedule C filer?  Taxpayer has about 67% business use, do we need to increase income to account for the personal use of the vehicle when there is no payroll option to do so?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15
Sched C filers already Own this car; it is not a Company Car. It is a Personally Owned vehicle with Mixed Use. There is no taxable amount for using your own car for your own personal needs.You use the vehicle worksheet for the Commuting & Personal Vs the Business, to show the proper allocation. Only the Business part applies to the tax return and that is not a 2106 situation. You are not an employee of your own Sched C entity.
"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
qbteachmt
Level 15
Sched C filers already Own this car; it is not a Company Car. It is a Personally Owned vehicle with Mixed Use. There is no taxable amount for using your own car for your own personal needs.You use the vehicle worksheet for the Commuting & Personal Vs the Business, to show the proper allocation. Only the Business part applies to the tax return and that is not a 2106 situation. You are not an employee of your own Sched C entity.
0 Cheers
matt1
Level 1
Thanks for the reply here. This is what I was thinking too.  I've typically seen this only with a Corp owning the vehicle.  The part that is throwing me off is that (I think) I can still do a business use proportional Section 179 deduction for the vehicle, since more than 50% of the use is business, but then if it is owned by the person, not the business, how does that work out?
0 Cheers
TaxMonkey
Level 8
The person is the business.
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15
Is there a reason you are not using Mileage Allowance?
0 Cheers
matt1
Level 1
Mileage allowance would be worth about $2K. Vehicle is greater than 6000lbs GVWR. I wanted to see if we had the option of going a S179 plus actual expenses for about $35K.
0 Cheers
TaxMonkey
Level 8
Why would the s179 not be capped at $25k? - maybe it was and you have lots of other expenses?
0 Cheers
matt1
Level 1
$25K S179 plus 50% bonus depreciation plus regular 5yr plus loan interest, and a little gas/insurance.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

In the 2106 input, at the top you can select where it goes - Schedule C #1, #2, ...., Schedule E #1, #2,....

https://accountants.intuit.com/support/tax/online/document.jsp?product=online&id=GEN72922&taxpro=tru... has how to do this

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers