Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it ok that the Apportionment Summary says 0% for one state even though I entered numbers and owe tax for that state? How do I fix this if it's a problem?

ErinElevated
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

The Summary doesn't need to be correct but the tax return does. Is the CA apportionment schedule (R?) correct?

CA has a minimum tax, too.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

How did you get it to owe tax if you have zero apportioned?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
ErinElevated
Level 2

I put the amount of income per state in the correct boxes, and it created the state forms correctly. However on the Multi-State Apportionment Summary it shows CA as 0% -- but that is the state that the client owes. I'm just wondering if the number(s) isn't carrying over to that summary page correctly, or if there is a bigger issue I should be looking for. How important is it to have the Multi-State Apportionment Summary be correct? Is anybody other than my client even looking at that?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

The Summary doesn't need to be correct but the tax return does. Is the CA apportionment schedule (R?) correct?

CA has a minimum tax, too.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Is anybody other than my client even looking at that?"

The states certainly are going to be looking at that.  How are you calculating what they owe the state?  Normally that calculation is based on the apportionment factors.

Slava Ukraini!
ErinElevated
Level 2

It took a call to support, but it was a problem with the numbers from some boxes not affecting the summary. Now that the number is entered in a different box, everything matches up!

kj1
Level 1

Can you provide more detail as to the solution here? I have the very same issue.

0 Cheers