Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone else upset about Intuit's business decision to now charge to prepare prior year returns???

Highlighted
Level 2
last updated ‎January 08, 2020 5:42 PM

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
35 Replies 35
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

So you paid for 2019 and now it wants to charge you for prior year returns?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2

So a paying customer used to be able to prepare older returns once the filing season was closed for any particular year. 

It was a great setup because a lot of times I would deal with clients who were many years behind so the older years would be free and I would only pay to file the current year return.

This is no longer the case and was just told as such by a Live Chat Intuit rep!

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

They changed it multiple years ago, nobody was happy about it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Highlighted
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

They changed it multiple years ago, nobody was happy about it.

@Just-Lisa-Now- Not for PTO.

@taxIQ What's your source?  Haven't seen any announcement about that change.  Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Level 2

@itonewbie my source? I just tried to run a 2017 S Corp return and it asked me to use one of my credits.  I then reached out to support who told me this is new where the preparation of PY returns is no longer free.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@taxIQ Thanks!  That is a big change and Intuit should have notified subscribers beforehand.

@IntuitAustin Could you please verify that the policy has indeed changed?  Haven't seen any announcement in-product, here, or in the FB group.  Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Highlighted

Not a fan if this is the case.  following topic. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@PanCakeAccountant @taxIQ Something is not right.  Another regular participant in the FB group and I tried separately to print a new prior year return but there's no charge to either of us.

How are you being charged for filing prior year returns within PTO?  As far as we can tell, there is not a way to recharge prior year credits.

Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Level 15

@PanCakeAccountant @taxIQ Have both of your purchased credits for TY2019?  If not, it would make sense that you get charged for filing prior year returns.

Intuit's policy for PTO has been, at least for the past couple years, that there is no charge for filing prior year returns but only on the condition that you have a subscription for the current year.

Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @itonewbie

That is correct. Beginning yesterday, January 8th, 2020, ProConnect Tax Online began charging for prior year returns. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
Highlighted
Level 15

@IntuitAustin Does it mean credit will be deducted from the respective tax year?  This will make a difference to folks who have balances from prior years.  Especially given the change in pricing model, how is the charge for each prior return determined?

Wish Intuit had informed folks beforehand as this is an unexpected change and there is a bit of exchange even within the FB group.

Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@itonewbie I will need to look into this to assure I'm giving you the most accurate information. I will follow up on this post later today. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@itonewbie wrote:

@IntuitAustin Does it mean credit will be deducted from the respective tax year?  This will make a difference to folks who have balances from prior years.  Especially given the change in pricing model, how is the charge for each prior return determined?

Wish Intuit had informed folks beforehand as this is an unexpected change and there is a bit of exchange even within the FB group.

Prior year returns are the same price as current year returns - so processing a return for any tax year will just use one credit from your 2019 balance. Prior year returns that you started before January 1st, 2020 will not require a credit to print or e-file.

Here's an article with more information on the changes coming to PTO for TY19 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-online-news-and-updates/discussion/proconnect...

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@IntuitAustin The link you sent is for Lacerte.  How is that relevant to PTO?

Could you also respond to my question about balance of prior year credits?  If prior year returns are really chargeable going forward, it should be deducted against prior year balances from the respective tax years rather than that of the current year.

Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@itonewbie wrote:

Could you also respond to my question about balance of prior year credits?  If prior year returns are really chargeable going forward, it should be deducted against prior year balances from the respective tax years rather than that of the current year.

I corrected the link. 

Balances from the prior year do not carry over. The credits purchased in current year will now be used for prior year returns as well. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@IntuitAustin wrote:

I corrected the link. 

Balances from the prior year do not carry over. The credits purchased in current year will now be used for prior year returns as well. 

It is not fair for prior year credits to be forfeited if you start charging for the preparation of prior year returns.  Not charging for prior year returns started prior to Jan 1 doesn't compensate for balances folks forfeit.

Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Level 15

@itonewbie wrote:

I suppose this is the link you meant to attach: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-online-news-and-updates/discussion/proconnect...

Regardless, folks should have been notified in advance rather than after the fact.  Will wait for you to respond to my other question.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Highlighted

I just noticed this.

I had prepared 2014-2017 returns for a new client a few months ago.

Now I have a different new client.

To file 2015-2018 will cost $448. Insane!

Now I have to go to do it by hand.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 14

Time is money. I'd pay -if that is indeed the new system, and pass the cost along to the client.

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 15
I’m not sure what the big deal is. If the client had been in each year and filed timely you would have paid the same total fee and wouldn’t have thought twice about it. Do you reward folks for being delinquent by charging a smaller fee for the same work?
ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
Highlighted
Level 2

@IRonMaN having to now pay for something which was once free is no big deal to you? Must be nice

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@taxIQ wrote:

@IRonMaN having to now pay for something which was once free is no big deal to you? Must be nice

Don't be hard on IRMN.  It is not wrong to be expected to pay for returns we prepare, except Intuit should have engaged existing subscriber early rather than "informing" us after the fact and, worse, only after questions were raised.  This is, no doubt, a big change for PTO users but for the policy to be fair, prior year balances should NOT be forfeited.

Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Level 2

@itonewbie you're absolutely right about this, i have forfeited credits for prior years and just accepted that they would not carry over.  At the very least preparing old returns after the fact should definitely be applied to those suspended credits.

This might be the last straw for me that drives me to look at other options.

@itonewbie wrote:

@taxIQ wrote:

Don't be hard on IRMN.  It is not wrong to be expected to pay for returns we prepare, except Intuit should have engaged existing subscriber early rather than "informing" us after the fact and, worse, only after questions were raised.  This is, no doubt, a big change for PTO users but for the policy to be fair, prior year balances should NOT be forfeited.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@taxIQ wrote:

@itonewbie you're absolutely right about this, i have forfeited credits for prior years and just accepted that they would not carry over.  At the very least preparing old returns after the fact should definitely be applied to those suspended credits.

Any prior year return that was created on or before December 31st will not require a credit to e-file or print.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@IntuitAustin wrote:
Any prior year return that was created on or before December 31st will not require a credit to e-file or print

@IntuitAustin But you still have not addressed the issue we raised about forfeiture of prior year balances not being fair under this new arrangement that should have been announced much earlier and without us asking.

Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Level 15

@IntuitAustin @IntuitRebecca The content of your latest post does not really answer the question in the title.  The biggest question a lot of folks have raised here and in the FB group about the policy of forfeiting prior year balances being unfair when users now have to pay to file prior year returns created after Dec 31, 2019 remains unanswered.  It would allay everyone's concerns if you could address this question directly.

The post also mentions that the T&Cs were changed as of Oct 2019.  Does it mean users should be expected to review the T&Cs on a daily basis and spot differences, especially when there is not even a log to identify key changes and no notification?

After a quick review of the Terms of Service dated Oct 2019, it does not appear that the change in billing policy is addressed anywhere.  Could you please point out the exact clause for that?

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-online-news-and-updates/discussion/why-did-in...

Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@itonewbie wrote:

@IntuitAustin @IntuitRebecca The content of your latest post does not really answer the question in the title.  The biggest question a lot of folks have raised here and in the FB group about the policy of forfeiting prior year balances being unfair when users now have to pay to file prior year returns created after Dec 31, 2019 remains unanswered.  It would allay everyone's concerns if you could address this question directly.

The post also mentions that the T&Cs were changed as of Oct 2019.  Does it mean users should be expected to review the T&Cs on a daily basis and spot differences, especially when there is not even a log to identify key changes and no notification?

After a quick review of the Terms of Service dated Oct 2019, it does not appear that the change in billing policy is addressed anywhere.  Could you please point out the exact clause for that?

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-online-news-and-updates/discussion/why-did-in...

I'll need to work with my support team to ensure I'm providing the best information, however I will respond back here with where it is shortly. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@taxIQ wrote:

No it isn't a big deal.  If you use the service, you pay for the service.  But with that said, Intuit has a very poor track record when it comes to communication.  Everyone should have been made aware of the new rules rather than receiving a New Year's surprise.

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
Highlighted
Level 15
Look into Drake Software, if price is a concern.

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 1

Yes I am upset. 

With no advanced notice given this appears exactly as it looks. Intuits way of sneaking it on to everyone knowing that anyone who would want to switch software at this point would be to late and to much work. 

I would like to know, for the prices increases and the other price changes what new features are we getting to support such a change in the cost? I have yet to see any major changes to support this. 

Highlighted
Level 2

@danielleecpa  this is just a cash grab by Intuit in my opinion.  I was told that we would have until tomorrow 1/10 to request a refund of our 2019 tax software purchase.  But at this stage you're right it may be too late to consider such a drastic move for this season.

Highlighted
Level 1

100% agree. It explains the no warning. I already questioned why the massive price hike with little to no added benefit. I do enough returns that the set pricing made it about dead even for me in terms of what I was buying compared to what I pay now on a per return basis but if I was a new customer I would look elsewhere. 

Where it gets me also is in years past I had unused credits (100% lost money) and somehow those are not grandfathered in as well. 

Highlighted
Level 2

I knew about the price change about the same week that it took place.  I wasn't happy but had little recourse with my timeline.

I feel that Circular 230 Section 10.30(c) (Communication of fee information) should apply to software providers as well as practitioners especially when the per-return pricing business model is used.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@JGTaxPro wrote:

I feel that Circular 230 Section 10.30(c) (Communication of fee information) should apply to software providers as well as practitioners especially when the per-return pricing business model is used.

But it does not.  Software developers neither practice before the IRS nor represent taxpayers.

Still an AllStar