Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory purchased as part of sale of a book store

Highlighted
Level 3

I have a client that purchased a book store.  A large part of the price was for the inventory.  Do I get to use the beginning inventory when calculating COGS (Schedule C-Sole Prop)?   Does anyone know if I can use the purchased inventory as beginning inventory when I am completing the schedule C cost of good sold? Or does my beginning inventory have to be zero because that part of the purchase price is not deductible/considered when calculating cost of goods sold? If I don't use the beginning inventory from the purchase then my inventory at end of the year won't be reflective of what is in the store? So it doesn't look right and it makes a very large difference in the business profit which increases/decreases taxes owed substantially.

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
8 Replies 8
Highlighted
Level 12

You have a mix of two issues here: "because that part of the purchase price is not deductible/considered when calculating cost of goods sold?"

The Purchase is various assets. Inventory is an Asset and is a "rotating" asset. It needed to be listed in the Buy/Sell for purposes of separated values.

And then, you have a Beginning Asset value for inventory.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

thank you qbteachmt!

Unfortunately, the parties involved did not complete a Form 8594.  Is that what you're referring to?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 12

"did not complete a Form 8594"

Then, how do you know this: "A large part of the price was for the inventory."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 3

The client gave me a breakdown of the price he paid:  Inventory, furniture, goodwill.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

I would start Inventory at -0-, and put the bulk purchase as part of Purchases.

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 15

Both  buyer and seller are supposed to file 8594. Use client's numbers on his 8594.

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 3

that's a good idea.  That way my cost of goods calculation ties out to Form 8594. Thank you.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

You're welcome.

ex-AllStar
0 Cheers