Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intuit link wants to send a document checklist based on last years return. How can I get it to send my edited organizer list?

juddrize
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
itonewbie
Level 15

In the Review request drawer where you see the Personalized Document checklist selected by default, you should see a dropdown for Organizer template on the top.  If you select from that dropdown the template you would like to use, that template will replace the personalized document checklist.

If you are not familiar with Intuit Link and its use, these articles and training videos should help:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/import-or-export-data-files/help/what-is-intuit-link/00/5339

https://proconnect.intuit.com/link/training/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
EST
Level 2

I hope you can ease my frustration with Intuit Link.  I understand the document checklist is based on the previous tax return and that is fine.

However, the questionnaire that the clients receive is from 2019.  How to I change that?  I thought I had, but a client emailed that it had not changed.

I also wonder if I can add a cover letter in addition to the engagement letter and the invitation letter.

Thanks.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@EST  Everything you asked about is covered in the articles and videos above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@EST wrote:
...I thought I had, but a client emailed that it had not changed...

Before you attempt to start the process for the year, you really need to test everything in Intuit Link both as the accountant and a client to understand how it works and that everything you set up is in order.  Can't emphasize that often enough.

How can you tell your client did not receive the questionnaire for 2020 and not 2019?  On the outset, there's not much difference between the two (although I haven't gone through these in details to compare) and these are really broad open questions.

If your client receive anything other than what you expected, that's a sign that you do not understand how Link works (or, at least, sufficiently well) because that would have been apparent from the screen you used to send the request.

Still an AllStar
EST
Level 2

I agree that I do not understand Intuit Link well at all.  That is why I am asking.  My client sent me a message inquiring as to why the 2019 questionnaire appeared and asked if he should just answer those questions.  I had already checked when I logged in as a user and did not have that issue.

Since you have expertise in Link,  I wonder if you can shed light on the first issue I needed to correct.  The engagement letter was imported from Lacerte with all those (archaic) paragraph editing indicators that have been updating each year for 25 years. I deleted them all to no ill effect, but wonder why they were not edited out automatically.

itonewbie
Level 15

If you are having problems with an existing custom template, I would suggest that you start from scratch.  I know, that's not supposed to be necessary but doing so may save you some pain of trying to pinpoint what went wrong, which may not always be possible.

1. When you're in the Intuit Link > Settings, under Quickstart templates, click on the copy icon to the right of the standard template you'd like to copy.
  2. If you click on the one for Individual organizer, a new template called Individual organizer - Copy 1 (if this is the 2nd copy, it'd show 2, etc.) under Custom templates.
  3. You can Rename the template by clicking on the pencil icon on the right;
  4. Under that template, you should see Engagement letter, Questions, and Document checklist.  All these now have the most up-to-date contents from Intuit's template.
  5. Assuming you still want to have a customized EL based on your prior year versions but with some edits, I'd suggest that you do the following:
    1. Edit your EL in plaintext using your favorite word processor;
    2. Come back to Intuit Link and click on Edit to the right of Engagement Letter under Individual organizer - Copy 1 (or whatever number that may be);
    3. Copy and paste the content from your word processor - making sure you insert the tags for CLIENT NAME and FIRM NAME, where appropriate;
    4. Hit Save.

Next time, when you create a request, you should select from the dropdown, under Organizer template, the new custom template you just created (e.g. Individual organizer - Copy 1).

On the next screen, you can then edit each of the items as you see fit.  Otherwise, all these will have the exact same contents from the custom template you created.

In the event that Intuit updates its standard templates for whatever reason, however, don't expect those changes to flow through to your custom template because yours is a true standalone independent template that is separate from the version Intuit has.

Hope this helps.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
SundanceCPA
Level 1

I'm new to PTO - I run my practice a certain way and I don't know if we're a good fit, or if I'm having issues just from not being up to speed yet. I have my engagement letters based on AICPA examples, and the templates from my E&O provider, so I am planning to just overlay them into the Link template. Do you think that will work?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
0 Cheers