Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If client was in business for only 3 months, how do I enter the 3/12 months (business use period) for home office expense?

I have entered the home and office sq footage but I still need to adjust this as she was in business for only 3 months but do not see where to do this adjustment in Proconnect, please help
Labels (1)
0 Cheers
2 Replies 2
Level 2

For a mid year start to the home office, take the amounts of the home expenses for the time using the office in business. For example, rent for 3 months = $3,000 and utilities for the 3 months totals $160. That gets to the correct amounts showing on the Form 8829 and being used in the allocation of home expenses. 

0 Cheers
Level 5

How do you deal with the standard method ($5 per square foot)?

Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
0 Cheers