Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a wife is the "taxpayer" and the husband is the "source" for 2018 joint filing, do the order needs to be in place for 2019 filing?

theacctglady05
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

IRS prefers you dont keep flip flopping them back and forth...why do you want to change?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
itonewbie
Level 15

Not sure what you mean by 'husband is the "source"'.  In any case, the order makes no difference to the IRS or state DoR.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I think they meant spouse

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
theacctglady05
Level 2

Hi Thanks so much for your response, and yes I did mean spouse.  I didn't know it would make a difference until I tried to e-file it was rejected.

0 Cheers
theacctglady05
Level 2

Sorry, I meant spouse.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@theacctglady05 wrote:

Hi Thanks so much for your response, and yes I did mean spouse.  I didn't know it would make a difference until I tried to e-file it was rejected.

But what do you mean by "source"?  That's my point.

The order of how you report the husband or the wife as the taxpayer vs spouse shouldn't be the cause of the rejection.  It's probably how you miscoded the income as being related to the spouse.  You may like to review whether you correctly checked or unchecked the box for spousal income, if you reversed the order from a proforma'ed return.  If you determined that was not the cause, please post the error message you received for the rejection.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

When you flipped the names, did you remember to flip the SSN's also?  And maybe the dates of birth (not sure if that bothers the e-File police, too). 

theacctglady05
Level 2

Thanks, I will check to make sure.

0 Cheers